PPS-FS15: Add / redo / enhance Particle Effects

Introduce your project and write about your work.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

gpregger
Human Space Navy Private

PPS-FS15: Add / redo / enhance Particle Effects

Post by gpregger » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:42 pm

Goals:
  • Get familiar with particle system scripting in ogre (emitters, affectors, materials)
  • Create new particle effects from scratch and try to enhance present ones (scripts and textures)
  • Incorporate the effects in orxonox
The editor I've been using for the whole workflow (except for texture creation) is called Particle Universe which is published under the MIT-license and thereby free to modify and use (the source code can be downloaded alongside the windows (only) binary)

In order to use the generated particle universe scripts within orxonox the corresponding ogre-plugin must be included in orxonox.

Ideally, concrete results should ( / may hopefully) include fancier visual effects like explosions and smoke.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: PPS-FS15: Add / redo / enhance Particle Effects

Post by x3n » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:45 am

Cool, I'd love to see better particle effects in Orxonox ;)

The current particle effects were created with the OGRE Particle Editor: http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-ind ... cle+Editor
In contrast to Particle Universe it requires no plugin, but it probably also provides less options and visual effects.

Do you have any plans on how to integrate the Particle Universe plugin in Orxonox? I assume this plugin is not part of the common Ogre packages. Maybe we can add it as external source to the Orxonox repository?
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:13 am

Better graphics is always nice!

Cool tool. Seems to be perfect for this use. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a version that runs on Linux machines. I only found the code for the Ogre plugin, but not the editor itself.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

gpregger
Human Space Navy Private

Post by gpregger » Thu May 21, 2015 2:12 pm

x3n wrote:Cool, I'd love to see better particle effects in Orxonox ;)

The current particle effects were created with the OGRE Particle Editor: http://www.ogre3d.org/tikiwiki/tiki-ind ... cle+Editor
In contrast to Particle Universe it requires no plugin, but it probably also provides less options and visual effects.

Do you have any plans on how to integrate the Particle Universe plugin in Orxonox? I assume this plugin is not part of the common Ogre packages. Maybe we can add it as external source to the Orxonox repository?
Unfortunately the whole project went not exactly as planned with the majority of work time being invested in getting the plugin to run instead of adding visuals. The good news is though that the plugin indeed runs (although probably not in an ideal fashion yet).
See the new wiki page for more details http://www.orxonox.net/wiki/ParticleUniverse

The plugin source is intended to be placed in src/external in orxonox however the compiled library needs to be loaded as an ogre plugin and as of now needs to be manually placed in the ogre build folder (like the current ParticleFX plugin that comes with Ogre)
beni wrote:Better graphics is always nice!

Cool tool. Seems to be perfect for this use. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a version that runs on Linux machines. I only found the code for the Ogre plugin, but not the editor itself.
I actually havent gotten around to doing a whole lot of serious work with the editor, but I've managed to overhaul 2 major effects which is the explosion of the rocket projectile and the explosion of pawns. Although these effects are made with the old particle system as I've only gotten the new one to work afterwards, plus Ogre version 1.8 isn't deployed on the work machines and the plugin does not compile on 1.6 so there isn't really a point in commiting anything particle universe related yet.

But I hope the wiki serves as a start when we get there, I've also attached a slightly customised pu-package to the article and instructions on how to get it to work...