MasterserverFS15

Introduce your project and write about your work.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

frovelli
Human Space Navy Private

MasterserverFS15

Post by frovelli » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:20 am

Hello everyone
I'm mostly working on things related to the masterserver.
One of the tasks that were suggested to me was checking for disconnected servers and removing them from the serverlist. However it appears that this functionality is already implemented and working well.
So instead I added a display for ping values in the client as it is custom for a multiplayer game. For some reason the RTT returned by ENet values don't make a lot of sense sometimes, which is something i'll look into next.
Todo list for now:
- Figure out what ENet is doing and why it gives me bogus values
- Auto-update ping values
- Fix more broken things and leaks when found
- ??? Open for ideas.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: MasterserverFS15

Post by beni » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:11 pm

Hey there, sounds cool. We recently had a small meeting and discussed the network/multiplayer module and there is definitely some work there. Maybe you can ask Sandro (smerkli) for advice for more ideas about this topic!
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

frovelli
Human Space Navy Private

Re: MasterserverFS15

Post by frovelli » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:15 pm

Well, I figured out why the RTT/ping values are weird:
ENet does not actually report the raw RTT/ping value but some sort of "processing time" which is only reliable in terms of "it's alive" or "it's dead". There are plenty of discussions on this matter online, the bottom line is: Implement ping functionality yourself :wallbash:

Now considering i don't have a lot experience with these libraries I feel a bit unproductive as I have to spend a lot of time digging in the code. It would be nice if there was something a little more superficial to do?

On the upside it looks like the largest memory leak is plugged now - still needs more testing of course.