Advanced Fighter: proposal

Introduce your project and write about your work.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Advanced Fighter: proposal

Post by nicolasc » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:57 am

Hi everyone....

I was bored during easter, and I started modeling a fighter. For those, who think that it looks somewhat familiar: Yes, some ideas were taken from the old terran fighter 4.

Hope you like it.

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:30 pm

Looks great. I'd like to hear some information about the amount of vertics and faces this fighter uses.

When do you produce the texture? :D

EDIT: Oh yes, please upload that fighter into the webdev-repository:

https://svn.orxonox.net/data/contentcre ... lumberger/

If you want, you can also MOVE your directory from pps to orx_artists ;-)
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:47 pm

Looks great. I'd like to hear some information about the amount of vertices and faces this fighter uses.
Believe it or not, it below 600 (below 1000 if you triangulate)... Worst case, it gets up to about 800.
When do you produce the texture?
I need to finish the model first, a few details to add. But other than that pretty soon. I make it an aim to be able to show it on Thursday.

What size should the high res texture be? 1024, 512?

I was thinking about putting a story around this ship. It is a Human-Asheroc hybrid, which the player will find on that moon base.
it has very limited capabilities in the beginning (due to the only half connected asheroc systems, and missing human ones), but will improve during the game (by adding new stuff, better integrating system et all).

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:07 pm

Call me mad, but I just gave the texture a first try... some things are already good, but some need a lot of reworking (i.e. the colored power conduits and the cockpit)

Have a look... the model and its texture is in the svn repo.

Image[/img]

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Post by Nowic » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:03 pm

Very nice. I like it!

Make your texture as big as possible (~1024px). Scaling down is simple. But scaling up impossible.
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:18 pm

Make your texture as big as possible (~1024px). Scaling down is simple. But scaling up impossible.
Sound logical... I sized them 1024px, so there will be no problem.

Glad you like it..

cheers
nico

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:05 pm

Sill a lot work to do with the texture, but what one can already see looks pretty amazing :)

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:20 pm

second draft of the texture... it even looks realistic this time...

I basically flipped the two grays, and improved the "light sources"

silvan
Noxonian Brolghormeg

Post by silvan » Tue Apr 10, 2007 6:48 am

Now that totally blows my mind!
Thw model is great but the textures are too uniform for my taste.
Keep it up!
The light on the end of the tunnel is a train.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:55 am

Hi nicolasc, hi guys,

Nice model indeed. I like also the story idea about asheroc-human hybrid technology.

The textures will probably need some more details and dirt :D but very nice piece of work!

orxonox ftw :D

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:09 pm

Agreed about the texture, it needs some work (i.e details) but no dirt. This thing should be a shiny new prototype, which was just about to be tested when the noxons arrived.

Plot: The player finds this ship in an secured hangar, somewhere inside/below the military base. He needs to throw a few switches (get it fueled up, open hangar doors...) and he will be on his way.

I will do some remodeling if I have time: the engines have less details than I wished, and I want to add some power conduits (or should the only be on the texture??)

cheers
nico

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:47 pm

Cool.

What about having two hangars: one normal hangar with some ship from the last pps and one slightly hidden hangar with the prototype.

This makes the story a little bit nonlinear and awards players that are playing in a more active way.

What do you think?

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:05 pm

I think it's a good idea with the two hangars. Making the player jump through hoops to get the slightly faster and more agile prototype with a more powerful engine. It also gives us the possibility to use the new scripts (switches and buttons in the level: We want to keymap a "use"-key on the keyboard like in the FPS we know, it's simple but not done yet).
The player has to power-up and fuel up the prototype and stuff, like nico suggested. It's relatively easy to do and hopefully fun to play. Gives the whole level a flow we didn't really achieved yet.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Tue Apr 10, 2007 4:07 pm

what about having two hangars: one normal hangar with some ship from the last pps and one slightly hidden hangar with the prototype.

This makes the story a little bit nonlinear and awards players that are playing in a more active way.
Nice idea...

I don't know how much of the story is already fixed...
  • Spacestation
  • Alien attack
  • Spacestation explodes and flight to the moon
  • Old military base on the surface
  • Escape from the moon
I was thinking that my ship can be recovered at the moon base. If the player fails to do so, he might get the ship a little later.
OTOH, what has the player to do on the surface??

Let me elaborate the full power of this little toy: A top notch (read: state of the art) human space superiority fighter, with some asheroc tech, such as (but no limited to) graviton engines, FTL-drive, stealth capability and improved weapons and shields.
I was sort of thinking, that the asheroc used the humans as guinea pigs to test their latest inventions, and they knew that at best the new systems would work at best at 10% efficiency. But it turned out a little different.

cheers
nico

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:55 pm

'nough spammed, this model has its own wiki-page...

I am still looking for some nice texture ideas... Beni already offered to help. A little discussion on Thursday will do...

cheers
nico