New Orxonox Web Page

Introduce your project and write about your work.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:49 pm

Alright let's do it like that:

Since we have a proper design right now (on firefox), let's get it good on IE first AND then vote again for more changes. The design right now may not satisfy everybody but at least we would have something to show, which looks nice, but isn't exactly everybody's taste. In my opinion it's not a problem to look at minor details like this later on.
I think it's more important to come to a stopover and look at the matter when we have more time. Since the semester starts tomorrow and the second year students will get their brochures and WILL check out our website, we should have it ready on IE. Changing the border is not something that really irritates or disturbs the visitor.

Right now there are two problems on IE. One problem (PNG transperancy) is solved with the newest version (IE7) but that's not really solving, we have to change this. The other problem is the subnavigation div which somehow is placed at the wrong place. Other than that the site looks the same.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Post by Nowic » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:13 pm

Personally, I don't care about IE. This browser just technicaly sucks! It does not implement the HTML and CSS specifications properly, it has major rendering bugs/limitations (i.e. png) and it is a security mine field.

If it would be my personal page, I would detect IE and display a full screen overlay "Download Firefox".

But It's not my page... so'll try to fix these issues today. I'll remove all transparent pngs and fix the IE css bugs. But I won't include any IE hacks.

It is my goal to have properly w3.org validated code. I know there are still bugs, please be patient.

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... ne&group=0
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/vali ... medium=all
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:32 pm

It is my goal to have properly w3.org validated code. I know there are still bugs, please be patient.
Sounds like a great idea. But you still could add a firefox button - or is this against some "hosting rules"?

BTW: I haven't been on the webpage/wiki for some time now, I pretty like what you have done to it.

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:34 pm

Yes @ Benis post, I forgot about the time factor. Let's postpone the revote.

Yes @ w3 validation

Yes @ no IE hacks

No @ full screen overlay "Download Firefox", the website MUST be accessible with IE. It doesn't have to be bug-free, but we can't just lock half of our visitors out. You could do a "Download Firefox OR access the website with IE-Bugs" overlay or add a sidenote "optimized for Firefox", that's ok (if you really can't resist) ;)

Nowic

Post by Nowic » Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:05 pm

thx @ nico

Web page status:

I think I fixed all the major IE bugs. (tested with IE6) Please report bugs that I missed. Some things had to be changed. The Trac menu is much larger now because IE can't handle "float:right;". I replaced all images (gif looks uglier). And many small css changes were necessary.

I had to remove the news-flash-macro because it generated invalid HTML code. Now the page is "XHTML 1.0 Strict" valid!
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http% ... rxonox.net

CSS is not 100% valid, because I use one CSS3 feature. CSS3 ist still under development. This feature (round corners) is already implemented in FF and Safari. Many pages use it and it causes no problems, IE just ignores it.
http://www.css3.info/preview/rounded-border/
Validator:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/vali ... rxonox.net

Known Bugs:
* The Smiley-Plugin does not work anymore since we updated. (I tried to create http://dev.orxonox.net/chrome/emoticons/ but maybe it's also mapped into patrick's homedir... trac is strange.)
* The TracNav Plugin has a buggy style since we updated.

Missing Featues:
* The main menu has no mouse over effects yet.

Did I miss something? Who wants a firefox icon? A w3.org validator icon?
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:53 am

Nice!

And you even made the "Login | Settings | Help/Guide | About Trac"-links white, I didn't dared to ask for that. Great! :D

I found an interesting fact:
http://dev.orxonox.net/wiki/ -> The trac nav is visible
http://dev.orxonox.net/wiki -> The trac nav is hidden

And clicking on the header leads to the old website, but I guess that will be fixed soon. ;)

Edit: I tested it with Opera and IE 7, it works. :)

@icons: Firefox is popular enough and w3 looks too "nerdy", so I don't think icons are necessary.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:16 am

Great, validated site :D, but I, too, think that this is not necessary to tell others, that we have such a cool HTML output :)
I also think there are no w3c validation icons which would fit in our website. I mean style wise.

I wouldn't mind Firefox icons because I still don't think Firefox gets the acceptance it deserves. Of course, everybody who worked in web design naturally loves Firefox. There where I worked the last two weeks, they always used IE. Then I had to implement something they needed in JavaScript and stuff (complicated DOM stuff). Now they have to use Firefox, because IE just crashes (and I tried, I really did).
BUT lots of people still use IE. Like my sister a few years ago. I installed Firefox, but kept the IE icons.

Okay, coming to an end here: Firefox icons would be appreciated from my side, but I don't think there is necessity.

Great work Nowic, and funny thing x3n. I was also a bit irritated yesterday when the subnavi was there and then not.. but I thought Nowic was still working on it.

Now: We should switch orxonox.net onto dev.orxonox.net because in the PPS brochure they got the old webside!!!

Nowic

Post by Nowic » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:42 am

Trac menu bar bug fixed, thx for reporting.

I realised that the search box was only correct on systems with a resolution of 1280x1024, but now that's fixed too.

@beni: True, but I have no access to change the domain.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:46 am

Wow! Your work is great guys! And that you managed to get it working on IE too is amazing :D Having the web-code in complying with web-standards is nice and we should show this. Perhaps not as a static icon but perhaps somewhere on a about site.

Well done!

@bensch: could you switch the apache settings? I guess you only have to rename the dev.orxonox.net config file to www.orxonox.net and adjust the internal names.

alternative: I will do that when I come back home (today 24:00)

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:05 pm

I really don't want to stress you guys. I know you have stuff to do, but I think it's really important that our new website gets the fame it deserves. I would have changed the website in the brochure, but I can't do anything against those PPS students to go to the wrong side. So please change those settings or explain how I can do it.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:59 am

hmm... sry, forgot it badly... I send myself a reminder for this evening.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:59 pm

great. It works now. I just found out that www.orxonox.ethz.ch does not work anymore. This could be a problem :(

Nowic

Post by Nowic » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:00 pm

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:14 pm

Oh that's just great.. so it's a global problem...

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:10 pm

I will have a look at it as soon as I get some time beside my thesis...