Paricle Effects

Introduce your project and write about your work.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

sandra
Human Space Navy Private

Paricle Effects

Post by sandra » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:51 pm

I will work on the particle effects for the PPS HS07.

Particle Effects are based on 2D object, so they can be used in a high quantity for a natural look, when meshes are too complex for example for fire or smoke.

My goal is to make a variety of effects available, which can be specified by changing parameters. I also will have to find out a way to add a .particle-file without just copying it into ogre's own particle folder.

For more informations: Project Page

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:10 pm

Hi sandra,

I've read your wiki-page and I like the idea with the parameters. I hope it's possible to implement them into our project. That would be a nice effect for several purposes. For example we could increase the amount of sparks with the amount of damage a projectile-hit caused or implement upgradeable weapons - every upgrade changes the color of the shot. I'm really looking forward to seeing some nice particle effects in the upcoming few weeks. :D

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:24 am

Very cool. Do you have some priorities assigned to the effects (making all will be hard). Looking forward to see some nice effects :D

sandra
Human Space Navy Private

Post by sandra » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:35 pm

I've already tried to make the shooting of a weapon, an engine and some smoke for a damaged player. Wasn't too difficult so far, but i'm not sure how it's gonna look in the game itself then.

Before I go on creating effects, I think, I will try to realize a nice way to implement them and to find a way parameters can be used if there are any.

Till now I didn't see the necessity to create any texture or materials on my own, since ogre offers a nice choice of already existing things. So as long nobody complains ;) I'll take the easy way there.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:08 pm

That sounds very promising. I think it's a good approach find a clean way to implement several effects with parameters.

In the end it would be nice if one could just say (simplified): Here fire
Or: engine here, pointing in this direction.
and similar stuff.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:41 am

Yes, the direction of an emitter is an important point. Every effect that is attached to another object (player, ship, wall, ...) MUST have a function to set the direction.

sandra
Human Space Navy Private

Post by sandra » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:12 pm

Some good news (especially for me): Ogre offers functions for changing parameters, so no problem there.
I guess, I will try to create a function, which you can use without deciding about too much parameter. For example an engine can increase its power, so there will be a longer jet and perhaps brighter.

But I'm still wondering, is there any possibility to save the .particle files somewhere else than OgreSDK\media\particle? I read, that they are implemented as a resource or as a template, but I couldn't find a way to do that.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:17 pm

But I'm still wondering, is there any possibility to save the .particle files somewhere else than OgreSDK\media\particle? I read, that they are implemented as a resource or as a template, but I couldn't find a way to do that.
Yes you can save the in another place...
Move you files to a suited place, and add the path to bin/resources.cfg. It should be pretty much self-explanatory.

Unless x3n did some unclean hacking in the Windows part, on Linux it should work that way.

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:57 pm

nicolasc wrote:x3n did some unclean hacking

(And you're welcome to propose a better solution)