[Audio] OpenAL & FreeAlut

Introduce your project and write about your work.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

Dorian
Human Space Navy Lieutenant

[Audio] OpenAL & FreeAlut

Post by Dorian » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:03 pm

I've started to do some work on the audio branch, tryed out OpenAL with FreeAlut and now doing some tutorials and trying to impelment some background sounds in orxonos.
I've made a little Wiki page on OpenAL: http://www.orxonox.net/wiki/OpenAL
and am now trying to implement classes for handling all the audio stuff.
Only wimps use tape backup: real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it. (Linus Torvalds)

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:59 am

Very nice work dorian! Sounds are very important to create atmosphere in the game :D

Dorian

Post by Dorian » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:12 pm

OpenAL and FreeAlut compile & link now correctly with system libs found by cmake. One should set the include dir in cmake to the root include dir and not to .../include/AL, as it is done in the example findopenal.cmake. I changed this so that it works correctly cause it is a convention that one uses #include <AL/al.h>
I've added a sound buffer, a sound sources and a soundmanager class, which should handle all the sound stuff; it is far from complete, but I'll work on it next Wednesday so that one can hear a nice background sound or one can attach sounds to events or positions.
Only wimps use tape backup: real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it. (Linus Torvalds)

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:31 pm

Cool :D

Does surround-sound work?

Dorian

Post by Dorian » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:13 pm

Don't know... have only stereo headphones and no surround system at my flat... Will see if I can test it with matias' surround headphones.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:51 pm

Astonishing work. Do you like some additional credit in form of PPS-points? :D
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

Dorian

Post by Dorian » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:03 am

So, now got the background sound working in Orxonox during this wednesday's 11 hour programmers session ;)
There is now a playlist for background sounds. Next step is to link this together with the level loader so that one can define a set of background sounds in the xml file and I'll have to do some checks in case there are problems loading the files.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:11 am

I'm still not sure, how exactly the loader will do this.
I think there will be a audio manager globally available (maybe through some detours). So will the SceneManager and everything else that's needed by the loader.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."