HumanShips

Introduce your project and write about your work.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

HumanShips

Post by beni » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:49 am

With this I open the project thread for the HumanShip content creation project.

You can find its Wiki page here.

Up to this point, only Adrian uploaded his model so I checked it out and had a look on his model. The others should upload their models as soon as possible, so we can check them out as well.

Adrian's model is good. There are no mistakes or strange stuff, which would make the model unusable.
There is only one think I wanna ask: Have you thought about details already? I don't want to tell you to model more details. Not at all. I just wanted to ask, if there are thoughts about more details, because there is still a lot you can do with those weapon slots, even without any extruding or raising the number of faces. Just think about some details. I ask you this, because I can't see any more details on your sketches, which shouldn't mean you should have it. Just a question ;-).

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:28 am

I like Adrian's model and I'm looking forward to see it with details and stuff. One thing that cought my eye: the laser and rocket slots seem to be somehow too close to be useable. Perhaps you will want to shift them relatively to each other.
Keep going!

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:50 am

patrick wrote:I like Adrian's model and I'm looking forward to see it with details and stuff. One thing that cought my eye: the laser and rocket slots seem to be somehow to close to be useable. Perhaps you will want to shift them relatively to each other.
keep on going!
You're right, didn't think of that one. I'd shift the laser slots a bit down, the rocket slots a bit up.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Sat Dec 02, 2006 1:11 pm

nice model...

I take it, that this will be one of the player's ships.

Weapons configuration: Marc and I were thinking about having multiple "laser" points, and only one missile point/bay.
As for the missiles, an internal bay would make the design easier (and more logical), and the missiles would just be dropped out of the bay while igniting.
As for the blasters (aka. lasers), each slot (or pair of slots - I am not sure yet) can be (de-)activated separately, meaning that the config is set immutable a the beginning of a level. And that basically the more weapons you have active, the faster your energy reserve will be depleted; or only one pair of weapons should be able to fire continuously without depleting the reserve. [a bot OT, I'll put it into a new thread]

I'd say, put about 6 or 8 laser slots to the model. removing is always easier the adding in the end.

cheers
nico

hofzge
Roshliikhh, lower servant to the Deities

Post by hofzge » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:49 pm

As modelling with Blender is so much fun, I have also made a little model. It is more of a fighter jet than a space ship.
After having finished two practice sessions I feel ready to make a real ship (except for the texturing, of which I have no clue yet).

Please tell me what you think about the ships on my page.
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
-- William Gibson, Neuromancer

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:24 pm

hofzge wrote:As modelling with Blender is so much fun, I have also made a little model. It is more of a fighter jet than a space ship.
After having finished two practice sessions I feel ready to make a real ship (except for the texturing, of which I have no clue yet).

Please tell me what you think about the ships on my page.
Hey Simon. I just glanced over the pictures yet, but I will definitely check out the blender files as well.
I like them, but I would suggest to add more details. I don't know if you think it's finished already, but a bit more details would give the ship a better look. Just try and think of something to add (extrude and such).

hofzge

Post by hofzge » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:52 am

Thanks for the reply. Nowic basically said the same thing.
I had no idea how much details a ship can have and these two "things" to know were some kind of practice session to get to know Blender.

I still have one question, though: How should the mount point for a weapon look? Should it just be some flat face or can the weapon be nested in a tube?
Last edited by hofzge on Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:33 am

hofzge wrote:Thanks for the reply. Nowic basically said the same thing.
I had no idea how much details a ship can have and these two "things" to know were some kind of practice session to get to know Blender.

I still have one question, though: How should the mount point for a weapon look? Should it just be some flat face or can the weapon be nested in a tube?
I think it's really cool how many people try to model stuff this semester. Even cooler are the results.
That the first few models show some "problems" is normal though and you should just try to model more. It's basically a question of practice (to a certain extend of course).

About the weapons: I don't really know how the new designs of the weapons will look like. All the information regarding weapons can be found here:
https://dev.orxonox.net/wiki/WeaponAndCharacterSystem

I think a plain face should be enough, but that is probably old information.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:07 pm

hofzge wrote:As modelling with Blender is so much fun, I have also made a little model. It is more of a fighter jet than a space ship.

Please tell me what you think about the ships on my page
Interesting design, bird-like. 8) . Might want to add some engines.
beni wrote:About the weapons: I don't really know how the new designs of the weapons will look like. All the information regarding weapons can be found here:

That pretty set! Size hasn't been defined yet, We need to check that with the ship team...
Thanks for the reply. Nowic basically said the same thing.
I know how you feel. Creating my first model was just PITA... Now after 20 or so I feel quite comfortable. Practice is one thing, even more important is to create some case studies...

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

hofzge

Post by hofzge » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:12 pm

Thanks again for the infos.

A new question jumped to my mind: Are these models too edgy? I am generally a bit more on the spiky side and all that I have modelled now has lots of antennas and spines and thorns. I don't quite know if this is near enough to the "human style".
If not, I could model a Noxon spike thrower ;)

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:21 pm

I don't think they are THAT edgy. Of course the lack of details does automatically put an edgy look to the models, but with more details (not just little things, but more rounds and stuff built into the models) the edgyness should become less and the model would be a perfect atmospheric fighter. At least that's my opinion.

Also the whole design of the ships make them fit better into the human style than the one of the Noxons.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:02 pm

yo hofzge. I like your bird of prey style model very much! More details will surely improve the model even more.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:07 pm

...I like your bird of prey style model very much! More details will surely improve the model even more.
Interesting... I was thinking of the Legionnaire/Centurion/Titan ships from Freelancer
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:01 am

No way, it's the valkiere from Freespace :D

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Post by Nowic » Mon Dec 04, 2006 4:00 pm

nicolasc wrote:
beni wrote:About the weapons: I don't really know how the new designs of the weapons will look like. All the information regarding weapons can be found here:

That pretty set! Size hasn't been defined yet, We need to check that with the ship team...
Size shouldn't be a problem. Scaling them ingame should be easy. But the mountpoint(s) should be specified soon. Maybe there are different types... for lasers or rocket launchers (?).
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman