Pirates != Pirates

Discuss the developement of the story and the universe of Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Pirates != Pirates

Post by patrick » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:37 pm

I just thought about the pirate part. I like the idea of the Pirates, as beni described them, very much. They are a group of people that don't belong to a government. I think we can make more out of this topic. Here are some supplementary ideas:

Failed Colonization Dreams: Governments encouraged people to go into space to work on mining platforms, science stations etc. They should build new communities and spread the influence of their governments. But not all these projects ended in a success (like the colonization of Venus and Mars). Space is a technically demanding environment. Many of the colonization platforms were staffed with bad educated and overstrained personal didn't reach their destination or break down because of insufficient and improper equipment and supplies. Governments suppressed such events to not discourage other settlers. Some people of these failed colonization projects survived. They are disappointed from their government and don't hesitate to harm it on their quest to survive in the hostile environment of space. They are very poor and not really harmful but there are many of them...

Privateers and Buccaneers Some people in space make their living by ambushing supply treks. They steal equipment, food and sometimes also humans (if they are valuable). There are some smaller syndicates of pirates but no real structure. They fight for their profit and never do anything that is not worth the effort in hard currency. For some other people the pirates are some kind of heroes that fight against an unfair government.

Feel free to remove or add parts to these ideas.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:54 pm

Sounds good. I also like the idea of different kind of pirating threads. While the first kind of pirates are really small groups that can only be found at one specific place, which is quite outside of the controlled space, the second kind has to interact and melt into the communities and can therefore be found more or less on every planet or space station (of course those pirates also fight against each other about influence and territory).
Both of those pirate kinds can be base of different missions.
The first kind will give you shelter and information if you have to hide from government forces. If you are on the government's side, they represent a rather harmless, but still annoying enemy in your missions.
The second kind of pirates will give you missions like smuggling or assassination. There not only government, but also other pirates may be the target or enemies. These kind of pirates are harmful if you have to defend a space station or convoy. Similar to GTA you could gain their trust, while draw the hate of other organizations upon you.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:57 pm

perfect :D