United Earth Alliance

Discuss the developement of the story and the universe of Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

United Earth Alliance

Post by nicolasc » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:17 pm

Thinking how to create/introduce a military fraction into Orxonox, I came up with the following idea.

After the second space race in 2100 and a brief war - basically the UCA vs the rest of the world, and the others won - some sensible men (or women) came up with the idea to create one single Organisation which is dedicated to defend earth against all enemies, and the UEA was created.

Originally the UEA was composed of the four spacefaring nations of earth - UCA, EU, CAU and the AU (details). Each nation sent a one Commander, of which one Supreme Commander of the UEA get elected for a certain period - sound awfully like the federal counsel, does it? - , then they reelect, or if no decision could be made, they rotate.

Venus' independence and the Mars riots: Although Mars got colonialised first, it never became a sovereign nation. Venus - after being terra-formed - grew fast to a flourishing economy, and having only one government - thus not to share the resources of planet with three others - gave Venus the advantage of quickly being recognised as a sovereign colony, with all it rights and privileges - such as a seat at the Commanders Counsel.
Mars wanting the same privileges than its younger sister Venus, demanded that they recognize Mars also as an independent colony. Having lost already enough resources by the independence of Venus, the UEA decided that the best course of action was the keep Mars under Earth control. It came as it must... It took 10 years of guerrilla war, and a lot of on both sides, but Mars was finally recognized as a sovereign colony.

The Hexagon: As new command center - and place for the Commanders to meet - the Hexagon was created. Refitting some War-cruisers - think Battlestar - and connecting them at the bow thus creating the largest yet build station in the Solar system. some additional meddling had to be done - mostly defensive upgrades - and the shape turned more and more into a six-sided something which gave it its nickname - the Hexagon. though deeply embedded into this structure, this ships can be disconnected if need - but so far this had no been the case.

These are just some ideas... not finished, but I am eager to hear your input.
@beni: I hope this is compatible with your Mars riot idea, and does not twist you universe to much.

cheers
nico
Last edited by nicolasc on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: United Earth Alliance

Post by beni » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:51 pm

nicolasc wrote:these are just some ideas... not finished, but I am eager to hear your input.
@beni: I hope this is compatible with your mars riot idea, and does not twist you universe to much.
It's good. I think it needs still some work though, but it's good.
Terraforming Venus is quite a pain in the ass, I imagine, since it's full us poisonous gases and really hot. Fixing an atmosphere there is quite an achievement. Mars on the other hand has something resembling our atmosphere and with some changes, it could change into something acceptable for life as we know it.

So in your story the Venus guys are the rich and good people and the Mars guys are the ones who wasted their opportunities and chances to become glorious. Yeah, why not? I think with enough problems, still after the independence of Mars, this will not interfere with my story. As long as there are enough people feeling still too controlled and depended the riots and problems continue. Venus could become a victim of conspiracy and briberies, since it's so successful.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

BadElvis
Human Space Navy Lord Commander

Post by BadElvis » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:25 am

i think your story snippet is really good. it is good to have tightly woven and consistent background. especially, i like the idea that the player gradually learns more and more about the earth/system/universe and is not overwhelmed by unneeded information at the beginning.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:50 am

You mention a very important thing there, Elvis. It's important to let the player learn and discover the universe. We won't tell him at the beginning what factions and planets and companies there are. Nearly nobody will tell him stuff, because we have to keep in mind that people in this world also don't go around and tell other people that there is.. let's say war in Iraq or hunger in Africa. That's common knowledge which is not just available, you happen to know it by accident if you don't know it by now.
That means that the player will find out about the universe while playing. He will experience assassinations, conflicts and skirmishes and will the learn about the involved factions.

Something I was thinking about: Companies are there where the people and resources are. Companies won't settle on new planets and moons when they do not see direct profit. The governments are the ones settling. Also there is not only one faction on one planet. One has to expect that several countries ran for Mars and Venus the same time and claimed land on those planets.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."