Space Race(s)

Discuss the developement of the story and the universe of Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

BadElvis
Human Space Navy Lord Commander

Space Race(s)

Post by BadElvis » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:31 am

On several pages, one can read about the second space. However, it seems that none says what this really is. Can someone explain? What about the first space race?

Does it mean: When space travel became cost-effective, major companies decided to expand into space/onto the moon and other planets?

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:51 am

Well, the first space race it what happened during the cold war - Americans and Soviets trying to be the first in space, then on the moon.

the second space race is something similar... it started with the idea of colonizing the Moon, to harvest its resources, and in a second step to reach Mars. What started as a peaceful endeavor, pretty soon turned into a race which turned into a war. Why it happened is unclear, but it seems once more that the arrogance of the UCA - that it is their privilege to colonize the moon - turned the others nations against them.

Wasting many resources on fighting on another, instead of using them for something constructive, forced them afterward to join forces if they ever wanted to reach Mars.

I hope that give you an idea....

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:59 am

dammit, that seems to conflict with that what I just wrote in another thread. So you want the humans to colonize Mars in peace without a run? Well it would work, but then I'd like them to build several settlements where different races (talking about people) gather together and still have to fight their battles.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:11 am

Not necessarly... Though the colonisation was a joint project, the different settlers grew pretty fast apart - return to their roots - and instead of one big marsian nation, some smaller ones established themselves...
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:28 pm

That's what I was hoping for.. sounds good. I truly like the idea that the humans only managed to settle on Mars with an international project. This somehow shows that there are somewhere intelligent people in the world ;).
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."