News and press

Discuss the developement of the story and the universe of Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

News and press

Post by beni » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:06 pm

I just had the idea of the need for a television studio providing news in our universe.
A news channel can inform the player about the big picture of things he might have played a tiny role. This would really help to boost up the atmosphere.
The news would run on space stations on TV's and really important stuff could be shown as cutscene.

We should maybe also think about the use of the internet in the future and how interplanetary internet connection work. Also the time delay of news could be a great plot line.
For example when news reach the player after he knows that this happened two days ago and that what he just have done or what he's about to do is completely wrong.

What do you say? Any ideas for details or suggestions?
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:32 pm

I see, you are really enjoying Babylon5... The idea sounds like ISN, but I like it. It would add greatly to the ambiance.
They also used it in freelancer, and some other space shooter - but there it was the military news broadcast.
We should maybe also think about the use of the internet in the future and how interplanetary internet connection work. Also the time delay of news could be a great plot line.
For example when news reach the player after he knows that this happened two days ago and that what he just have done or what he's about to do is completely wrong.
PoV realism: distance sun jupiter is about 45 light minutes, so the maximum possible delay would be somewhere around 1 hour...
I would keep it in mind as addition, but more for the FPS that for the spaceshooter directly.

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:08 pm

Yes ;) you got me. The idea came when they had another broadcast of ISN in Babylon 5.
Of course this will manly be used in the FPS parts of the game, but nonetheless we can talk about it. Also the cut scenes can also be broadcast without having the player be in FPS mode.
I don't think it would make sense to militarize the news. And your right with the 45 light minutes. It was maybe not that good of an idea, without checking distances :D

BadElvis
Human Space Navy Lord Commander

Post by BadElvis » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:31 pm

I never played Babylon 5, but I love the radio in Grand Theft Auto (especially GTA III). Maybe, anyone of you knows what I mean: you can switch between a couple of stations and listen to music and senseless babble while driving around. And the stuff they say is really funny. This creates the right atmosphere for the ordinary American city. Sometimes, you could also hear some game-relevant news.
Radio, Television, Newspapers are great for creating atmosphere and a little story, in my opinion.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:38 pm

Babylon 5 is a TV series from the early nineties.
The radio in GTA was classic and you can believe me or not, but I thought about that today and we could probably adapt the sense less babble from the American City into the Space Genre. We never said, that the game has to be so serious, Bensch and Patrick always wanted to make it trashy.