Human Weapon Technology

Discuss the developement of the story and the universe of Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Human Weapon Technology

Post by beni » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:10 pm

Hi everyone,

I have written a little something about weapons and shields in the Wiki concerning the Universe of Orxonox.

The idea behind it, is that we have a more complex weapon system so there is an element of strategy in the game. I don't think we have done something like that yet. The current weapon system just supports different weapons, but different kinds of damage and shields are not available yet, I believe.

Please look at the system (there is a summary below) and tell me if you think I have to make something clearer or change something completely. The balancing cannot be done out of the box, which is why I have just written about the different strengths and weaknesses in a qualitatively matter.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: Human Weapon Technology

Post by x3n » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:32 am

sounds interesting. how would this expand to aliens?

I see another possibility by the way: Weapons (or rather spacehips and turrets) may have an aiming assistance system. One could use an EMP weapon to disturb them. EMP weapons don't deal damage, but without assistance, the enemy ship is weaker (and it may also deactivate the energy shield).
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:01 am

I think the aliens should have different weaknesses and strengths. I imagine energy weapons to be more effective against Asheroc and physical projectiles more effective against Noxons. It would add another element of strategy to battles. You would have to choose your weapons according to the enemies you encounter. I haven't thought it out yet, though.

Yes, I forgot to add EMPs. I actually wanted to do this before I posted this here. EMPs would disable systems of the ship (may also be the engine or communications and not only combat related things). With bigger ships you may even be able to direct the EMP damage to a certain system so a sub quest may be: "make target X immobile" or something.

I haven't decided yet, if EMP can only be created with means of large bombs (in reality EMP is usually done with a nuclear explosions) or also smaller rockets, turrets and mounted weapons.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:38 pm

In terms of funniness I prefer small EMP weapons that can be equiped on small ships. We'd have to limit it though, otherwise a small ship could easily destroy a large battle cruiser.

Maybe we could make EMP a non-projectile weapon; Instad you have to shutdown your ship for a few seconds, release the EMP which deactivates every electronic system (even friendly ships?) in a certain range around your ship, then you turn your systems on again (remember matrix?).

About the aliens: I think it would be boring if ALL noxons have the same attributes. Let's make it more challenging. You already said once that they use some parts of the human technology, so they could use the different shield techniques as well. Additionally they may have their own native protections, which may be even different. And moreover, there could be an alien weapons that brings another level of complexity to the game in later stages of the campaign?
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer