About trunk revision 790

Get help with installing, running and configuring Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

superegg
Human Space Navy Major

About trunk revision 790

Post by superegg » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:41 am

Does every revision have a log??
revision 790 actually has 94 MB!!! while the last one only had 4.5 MB.
what is new there?

I am still trying to install orxonox on macOS, although it has already cost me much more time than design and make the HUD. Today, in the train I got following questions:

The CMake files like FindOIS.cmake have a value named as foo_FOUND, and by running this script, it should say something if foo is not found. Is it right?

On tardis computer I only had to download orxonox trunk, but no Ogre. How can it be?

In the cmakecache file (the file created after running "cmake ." in terminal) on my mac, I found the right path for Ogre lib and co. , but by running "make" it tells me that all libs like Ogre cannot be found. If the cmake has actually found the right path, what can be the reason that "make" has not?

thx for answers

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:47 am

what is new there?
About 3 Months of development: We Merge FiCN back into the trunk.
On tardis computer I only had to download orxonox trunk, but no Ogre. How can it be?
Tardis uses a - more or less - standard linux installation and the average user should not have to install any software. For that reason we had the ISG install Ogre - and a few other libs - on a system wide level.

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

superegg
Human Space Navy Major

Post by superegg » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:06 am

Tardis uses a - more or less - standard linux installation and the average user should not have to install any software. For that reason we had the ISG install Ogre - and a few other libs - on a system wide level.
Aha that's why the tardis hack in cmake files, because the link to libraries is always the same.
I think its time to learn some basics now.

Anyway, the game requires more libraries now:

ALUT_INCLUDE_DIR
ALUT_LIBRARY
ENet_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)
ENet_LIBRARY (ADVANCED)
OGG_INCLUDE_DIR
OGG_LIBRARY
OPENAL_INCLUDE_DIR
VORBISFILE_LIBRARY
VORBIS_INCLUDE_DIR
VORBIS_LIBRARY

I bet ISG computers already have these libs, but private computers hardly do?

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:54 am

This is exactly right, superegg. ISG has a lot of libraries preinstalled and always the development versions with the header-files.
"Normal" computers have usually only the lib itself, which is not sufficient for us, when we compile Orxonox.
What's missing on you computer seems to be some sound-libs and the enet-lib we use for the networks support.
I developed my semester thesis on a Mac and I gotta say, that these library paths are a pain in the ass, but you'll figure it out eventually, I hope.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:15 am

The source of all those libraries is in the repository https://svn.orxonox.net/ogre/

Check it out in a folder called 'libs' with:
svn co https://svn.orxonox.net/orgre/ libs
You should do this in the same directory where your other checkouts of orxonox-branches and the trunk are located.

Now you should have all includes. but you still have to build the libraries. If you don't feel like doing this, you have to download precompiled packages for mac.

superegg
Human Space Navy Major

Post by superegg » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:12 pm

Thanks for answers.

I already got precompiled version of Ogre. But macs "make" doesnt find the oger libs although "cmake" seems to have found it. I was seeking for the problem when asked myself why ETH computers dont have these problems.

I recently installed ubuntu on my PC, now I am trying to make Orxonox run there.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:35 pm

Wise decision... ;) The trac doku should be quite good. Though I am doing some revisions - poke my in IRC, if I missed something.
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:54 pm

We do however find out about Mac. Orxonox SHOULD at least be supported on Mac as well, that was always our goal. Of course we have other stuff to do first, but Mac shouldn't be left alone with its problems.

superegg
Human Space Navy Major

Post by superegg » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:04 am

What is OgreMath, OgreVector and etc?

I installed Ogre with "apt-get install" , but there isnt any libraries named OgreMath etc.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:21 pm

These are headerfiles. You find them in the include-directory. You always have to download the dev-versions of the library as well...

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:24 pm

I am not quite sure if I understand you correctly...
you are looking for a lib belonging to OrgeMath.h resp OgreVector.h? They don't exist on their own, but they are included in libOgreMain.so.

superegg
Human Space Navy Major

Post by superegg » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:40 pm

I installed libogre-dev libogre14 libogre14-dbg ogredoc ogre-tools ogre-tools-dbg in ubuntu.

By compiling the newest trunk, it cannt find OgreMath.h OgreVector2.h etc.

Then I looked for "OgreMath.h" in all files and it can only be found in the precompiled version, which I downloaded from the Ogre page and I am not actually using it now. This means, the ogre version I installed with terminal commands doesnt content these header files.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:48 pm

those files should be found in /usr/include/(OGRE) or /usr/local/include/OGRE/

That means with libogre-dev, they should be somewhere on you PC..

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:55 pm

erm beni, weren't you and/or dumeni forced to used the self compiled version?

superegg
Human Space Navy Major

Post by superegg » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:16 pm

For guys who are a little bit confused about what I am doing now: I am actually trying to make it run by two different ways:

1. Ogre package I downloaded from svn.orxonox.net, which already contents all other libs.

2. I used "apt-get install" cmd in terminal and installed all other libs on my own.

I think the version from svn.orxnox.net is not precompiled, and I tried to compile it (using the paper you gave us all in the first lesson). Following problems:

1. I dont know what aclocal does, but it seems to be missing.
2. ./bootstrap doesnt work because there is not makefile.am.

Anyway, the problem is that the compiler doesnt want to find OgreMath.h, although it seems to have found Ogre.h (no compilation error here), although the two are in the same folder.