About Orxonox on Ubuntu

Get help with installing, running and configuring Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

superegg
Human Space Navy Major

About Orxonox on Ubuntu

Post by superegg » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:16 am

Orxonox requires the library libboost-thread, but for installing that you need libboost. The joke is that not the recent libboost(=1.34.1-2ubuntu1.1) library is needed, but libboost(=1.34.1-2ubuntu1). So I had to downgrad libboost and the system tells me the whole time that I should upgrade libboost.

Does anybody else have this problem?

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:25 am

Beni, most likely your call....

Check again... according to the ubuntu package webpage, all packages should be upgraded to the new version - or to the new build.

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:06 am

Well, I've got the newest ubuntu version (Hardy soon Beta) and there the version of the package of both, libboost and libbosst-thread ist 1.34.1-4ubuntu2.

However when I check out the page Nico posted Gutsy should provide version 1.34.1-2ubuntu1.1 of libboost-thread. I don't know why this should require a older version of the dependency. This surely does not make much sense. If this is really the case I would reinstall libboost and libbosst-thread to the latest for you available version, which seems to be 1.34.1-2ubuntu1.1.
It ain't possible this is broken in ubuntu.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:47 am

For clarification of ubuntu version numbers:

1.34.1 is the version of the package - the source code that package is based on
2ubuntu1.1 is the build number, while 2 represents the debian/ubuntu patch level, 1.1 represents the real build number
I guess it change, because they need to to rebuild it due to some dependency change..

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:14 pm

Thanks for this nico. I always wondered. It also explains the new version number on my hardy installation. The version is of a newer patch from Debian.
Changes in packages happen all the time, as Ubuntu has relatively many bugs but also quite fast updates and fixes. It also happens often that some dependencies get broken. Somehow Superegg's problem sound like this. This is why I suggested to reinstall libboost-thread and its dependencies, so the version number gets set right. Downgrading should not be necessary, especially not in this case.

superegg
Human Space Navy Major

Post by superegg » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:35 pm

according to several forum topics, I am not the single one who got this problem. And libboost-thread is not the single part which has this problem, so does every other libbost-blablabla.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:25 pm

this seems to be real bad.. best thing you can do: wait for hardy or try the beta now

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:23 pm

what happens if you pull in libboost-dbg?
I am not sure, whether it can be used as a replacement, but if it can, it should work, despite the created overhead dbg, mean debug version...

superegg
Human Space Navy Major

Post by superegg » Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:42 am

When I pulled libboost, libboost-dbg was pulled at the same time. I thought, it is an add-on to libboost.......