How to host a multiplayer game?

Get help with installing, running and configuring Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

tyderion
Noxonian Brolghormeg

How to host a multiplayer game?

Post by tyderion » Sat May 29, 2010 4:08 pm

Hi folks

to better test the rocket (especially the collisions) I'd like to play an multiplayergame with at least two computers here at home (2 cameras = different views of the impact) but I don't know how to host a game.

If I host one (empty level) there are no errors, but the second computer can't find the first (there is also no place to input the adress when "joining" the game... ?

thanks for helping

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: How to host a multiplayer game?

Post by greenman » Sat May 29, 2010 4:47 pm

hi

if you start client and server on the same pc orxonox will automatically find the server.
otherwise you need to pass --ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or --ip hostname when starting the client (of course with xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx / hostname the ip/hostname of the server pc)
like this it should work.

but i'm not sure whether the rocket already works on the client. please give me a feedback about it ;)

greets Oli
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tyderion
Noxonian Brolghormeg

Post by tyderion » Sun May 30, 2010 9:20 am

I guess this is a problem with the rocket... or something part of it...

I can host a game with "server.bat" or "dedicated.bat". If I try to connect to this server (which kinda works) it gives me the error "Recieved bad class name" and then quits. If I try to debug (with visual studio) There is an error that says "floating point support not loaded".
I've attached screenshots of first the commandwindows witht he Bad ClassName and then of part of the debugging (maybe it helps...)

P.S. deleting uploaded files while posting here doesn't really work, I had to retype my message (preview was "suddenly" empty after deleting one of the two files...)
Attachments
badClassName.JPG
badClassName.JPG (78.1 KiB) Viewed 19324 times
debug_badClassName.JPG
debugging (displaying message)
debug_badClassName.JPG (56.78 KiB) Viewed 19324 times

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Sun May 30, 2010 10:27 am

forgot about that. this was already fixed in presentation3.
i merged the fix now into rocket2, so you should be able to test it now
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

tyderion
Noxonian Brolghormeg

Post by tyderion » Sun May 30, 2010 11:37 am

ok now I can successfully join the game, but after the countdown reaches 0 and the client tries to spawn (server-player can spawn) I get the same error (at least, the debugging-part - "floating point support not loaded" ), there is an assertion fail in the server (screenshot attached).
Attachments
clientspawnfail.JPG
clientspawnfail.JPG (24.79 KiB) Viewed 19321 times

tyderion
Noxonian Brolghormeg

Post by tyderion » Sun May 30, 2010 12:11 pm

I use the empty_level to try it out.

If I try to connect to a server which has a camera (host, not dedicated) then I cannot spawn (mouseclick does nothing).
As soon as I spawn with the serverplayer (which does work) the client gets a break (screenshot "this_fail")
If I try to join a game with a player spawned, I get the same error upon joining.

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Sun May 30, 2010 1:02 pm

i merged your branch back to presentation3, so you should switch your svn source. i made this, because of various changes and because of the presentation approaching ;)

i successfully started a dedicated server and joined with a client
i could also spawn, but i couldn't fire a rocket because of a problem with lod
cannot reproduce your error

can you tell me which call triggers this assert in SmartPtr? (some code like mySmartPtr->doSomething() should cause the problem, one frame above the assertion)

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Sun May 30, 2010 1:47 pm

made some network related fixes (use GameMode::isMaster() for control and destruction related stuff)

tyderion
Noxonian Brolghormeg

Post by tyderion » Sun May 30, 2010 2:12 pm

I merged my little "documentation" I already did with your GameMode::isMaster()-additions....

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Sun May 30, 2010 3:13 pm

tyderion wrote:If I try to connect to a server which has a camera (host, not dedicated) then I cannot spawn (mouseclick does nothing).
that's intended, all players have to be ready (press fire) to start the match. however there's a config value to change this behaviour:
config Gametype bAutoStart_ 1 <- no initial countdown
config Gametype bForceSpawn_ 1 <- you don't have to click to (re-)spawn
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer