New guys

Talk about Orxonox and related stuff.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

New guys

Post by beni » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:21 am

Why don't you new guys introduce yourself?
Since you, Dorian, are the first one of the new guys, checking out the forum, you could start the introduction round.

By the way: This would save some time in the actual lesson next Wednesday :D.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

Dorian
Human Space Navy Lieutenant

Post by Dorian » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:52 pm

Ok, I'll be responsive to Benj pleas and introduce myself:

My name is Nicolas (Dorian is my second name, and I often us it as a nickname), I'm coming from the beautiful canton of Berne ;) and entered the ETH in 2005. One of my hobbies is coding, especially coding of dynamic webpages which I'm doing for about seven years now. Because of that, I'm familiar with PHP, MySQL and HTML/CSS/Javascript. I also learned C++ at the ETH, and VisualBasic at grammar school. Other languages I partially know are Python, Java and C/C#. My biggest programming project at the moment ist EtoA, a Sci-Fi browsergame (based on the popular OGame MMORPG) which startet as a maturity paper project and has expanded since then very much. You can take a look at it on www.etoa.ch. Due to working on this project, I also came in touch with Linux, cause I had to set up and maintain the gameservers for EtoA, which are running with Gentoo Linux.
What I'm not good at is graphical work, I'm much more the coder than the designer; I know a bit of photoshop/gimp, but never really used a 3D-content creation tool like bender, c4d or 3ds max, so I'll be glad if I can work in the coding section of this project ;)
Only wimps use tape backup: real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it. (Linus Torvalds)

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:59 am

Jou Dorian

thanks for this first introduction part from your side. I just checked out your game. Haven't registered yet, because I know how time consuming those games are. You have to be either unemployed or a really good student with no hobbies to win the game (it's probably a bit over exaggerated, but I remember how much time I've won when I stopped playing droidwars (called d-wars now because lucas arts was unhappy with the name). Interesting for the time consuming parts is the reaction time one can allow himself. If two alliances had a war, it was possible in d-wars to get attacked in minimum 2 hours. So you had to sleep for only two hours and then get up to check if an attack is running...

Well, seems that coding will be good for you. Nonetheless we will teach all of you guys how to model simple stuff. If you find it really interesting you can still change your opinion, but everybody can do what he or she wants.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."