Article about Orxonox

Talk about Orxonox and related stuff.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

What do you think of writing an article about Orxonox, its development and its content in a major gaming magazine?

Poll ended at Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:22 am

I hate this idea!
No votes
I don't think that it'll ever be published.
No votes
I like the idea!
20%
We should hold a convention/meeting to discuss this and to discuss the potential content of the article.
80%

Total votes: 5

hofzge
Roshliikhh, lower servant to the Deities

Article about Orxonox

Post by hofzge » Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:22 am

It is my intention to publish an article about Orxonox in some gaming magazine (PC Games, GameStar, ...) by the end of this semester. If this were to happen (and I would be most delighted to write such an article) Orxonox would instantly become much more famous and I guess that this would also attract a lot of potential programmers, modlers and other creators.

What do you think about this idea?
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
-- William Gibson, Neuromancer

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Post by Nowic » Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:52 am

"We should hold a convention/meeting to discuss this and to discuss the potential content of the article."
GameStar would print it for sure (they also wrote about a mod I was involved). We could even try to get Orxonox included on their CD/DVD.

BUT: I think it's too early! Because we would reach mostly gamers who want to play and we don't have a playable version yet, not even a release. So it would be quite useless... apart from some more page hits.

In the current state of the project it would be more useful to promote our game in developer and graphics forums/mailing lists. or perhaps http://www.linux-gamers.net/
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:44 pm

Yes, at the current state of our project, we are not yet ready for the gamers. But I think, that we are ready for programmers and artists (especially artists). There are many possibilities to advertise Orxonox in developer forums (e.g. the link nowic has posted).

At the end of the semester however when (if) we reach a playable state (which I strongly hope) and given a stable Windows version of Orxonox, we can think about making articles for GameStar or other magazines. I like the idea very much :beerchug:

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:03 am

I'm really looking forward to that playable version. Remember last semester when I asked when we finally put an article into GameStar? :)

GameStar is really eager to report about fan projects, mods (like nowic mentioned) and they also released some extra issues about gamedeveloping. They are not THAT big into open source though and they are all graphic freaks, but I still think that it would be a great idea to promote Orxonox in this way.

Problem: I'm not so sure if they would allow us to write an article about our own game. Not even Polykum wanted to allow us that. GameStar's good reputation is because of their objective articles, which wouldn't be yours Hofzge, right? ;)

Same counts for wikipedia: We can promote our game at the end of the semester when we really can show off.

I'm not that present in gamedev boards, but I think it would be a great opportunity.

hofzge

Re: Article about Orxonox

Post by hofzge » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:08 am

hofzge wrote:It is my intention to publish ... by the end of this semester.
Well, I know that it's to early. There are a few conditions, which must be met before we can publish Orxonox:
  • playable maintained Windows binary version
  • new tutorials for all operating systems on how to compile Orxonox
  • corrected and content-reorganized web page/forum/Wiki
  • a few new screenshots of the new models on the web page

hofzge

Post by hofzge » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:22 pm

As we agreed in the other thread about Orxonox PR to postpone any actions until the end of the semester and because the poll is rather clear, I will also close this thread for now.