Orxonox Funding

Talk about Orxonox and related stuff.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Orxonox Funding

Post by patrick » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:05 pm

This is a thread about ideas to get partial funding (financial means) for Orxonox events and other Orxonox related expenses. Namely:

Events
- Orxonox PPS Pizza Session at end of semester (2x year)
- Orxonox Think Tank Weekend (2x year)
- Orxonox BBQ in summer (1x year)
- Orxonox Fondue in winter (1x year)
The idea is to sponsor only a part (let's say at most 50%) externally.

Work Equipment
- Server hardware (if something breaks)
- Poster printing for presentation announcement
- SSH certificate (if needed at all)
- Orxonox.net domain name (Bensch and I bought it for 5 years only :wink: )
Goal is to sponsor 100% from externally.

Future Plans
- Orxonox root server
- Orxonox T-Shirts, underpants, strings and stickers 8)

The goal of the funding would be primarily to fund working equipment since these are things that can be quite expensive and nobody is really liable for them. The costs are also not that high so it should be a reasonable goal.
As second goal is the partial funding of Orxonox events for developers. Partially only because people should still feel, that it is a voluntary project. But because you are all students, it shouldn't become expensive to socialize in Orxonox. So partial funding would be the goal. For example: we would try to fund the cheese only, while the developers bring the stuff to drink, etc.

Funding possibilities:

1. Companies:
- Google often sponsors student events. I have connections to the places to do this.
I could imagine, that also other computer/software companies would be interested in this since we are all potential future employees. And at the moment it is really hard to get software developers, believe me :D

2. ETH:
- Expenses for the PPS should be possible to be given to the ETH
- Maturandentag: The ITET department doesn't have anything moving, colorful or attracting at the Maturandentag (I was there). Orxonox would be great for this. I'm sure we would be able to get some funds for this!
- AMIV: Perhaps they will be helping us with organization of locations or even some small amounts of money, if they see the reasoning behind the money request.

3. Orxonox Veterans
- People that finished the studies and started working. Now earn money but don't have any time anymore to work on time intensive coding, etc. For example me :?

Please give your input and feedback.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:22 pm

Wow, it's good to read something structured about it. I also did some thinking about exactly this subject, but I couldn't come up with such a concept. I really like it and I have as for now nothing else to add.
I hope we do not put on to too much work, patrick. It's great what you do right now for Orxonox. Thank you :).
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:44 pm

Thank you! Yea, it's quite a big piece of work to do it in one. I don't suggest to do it in one piece. It's too early for most of the points anyways (maturandentag will be in one year, Google won't give just plain cash, they will only reimburse events (if at all), so it's not worth starting with it too early.)

Let's give the idea some time to settle. Since I have also a lot to do with my new job, I won't have too much time to spare with Orxonox (expect for the AMIV meeting, which it would make sense to schedule early).

lieni
Noxonian Reg'metholt

Post by lieni » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:28 pm

Hey, all the suggestions look promising! As already mentioned by others I'd still give it some time until we contact the big companies...
I can help out with some of the ideas (especially events :)) when "I'll be back" :)

btw paede: What's your new job?
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:41 am

Good news: The AMIV will pay fully for the pizzas we offer to the students in the PPS. Here said again: the AMIV is really a cool organization with very nice people...

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:49 pm

Great news.

I'll write to AMIV to thank for his generosity.

Good work, thanks paedu.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:58 pm

Wow, cool :D