Ship attributes

Discussions about the look and feel of Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

Marc
Human Space Navy Major

Post by Marc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:42 pm

I didn't drop it, just didn't mention it to show the ideas with the "extrema", as the fight is the choice for those who do not want to go for one extrema. (similar to the medium blaster)

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:30 pm

Ahh, the three ship types are not available at the beginning? I thought that the player would have to choose between 3 ships at the beginning, with which he/she must then play for the whole game.

With the "static ship" the player is closer bound to his/her ship and there are 3 different ways to replay the game (3 different characters).

I would like to discuss about this ship-choosing idea. Because also we will have only one playable level at the end of this semester. Playing it with three different ships would add some replayability 8)

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 6:15 pm

I would like to discuss about this ship-choosing idea. Because also we will have only one playable level at the end of this semester. Playing it with three different ships would add some replayablility :Cool:
I was looking at the bigger picture, or at a complete game... But for our "test level" all 3 models should be made available, and if it is just for sake of fun.

:!: We should make all bugs :twisted: ...err features available at this "test level", Even if it's just to show the potential of our game (-engine).
With the "static ship" the player is closer bound to his/her ship and there are 3 different ways to replay the game (3 different characters).
I thought that this would restrict us to a certain mission type... That way the player might be able to choose from 2 missions.

Example: Cap Ship Attack
Bomber mission: blow up the cap ship
Scout mission: get rid of all the fighters
Heavy Fighter mission: clean the ships hull from sentry guns and missile batteries

Just another thought... and maybe only usable on a bigger scale. :roll:

cheers
nico

Marc
Human Space Navy Major

Post by Marc » Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:37 pm

As the "damage / time" is the same on all three ships, I don't see why a specific ship should have its fixed missions.

Sure, some missions (like asteroid fields) are easier with one ship, but I don't think it would be a too good idea to give no option in such a case.

I think the Wing Commander games or the Star Wars space games for the Nintendo consoles are a good example how a choice on the ship results in more interesting game experiences.
Think of how boring it would have been if you couldn't choose your ship ...

I'm for example am a player that prefers agility over "slow massive cannons" like a bomber normally as it allows a more flexible game style (and lets me use my reflexes), even if I have to fight against big enemies. If I exchange my weapon to meet the requirements, there is not that much of a problem. It might be harder than with a bomber, but for sure more fun as well :)

BUT: I've to add something to the above for a later idea (not for this semesters target): What if our actions on the current mission influences a later mission where we perhaps fight with a squadron or whole armada. If we didn't defend a bomber pilot (side mission) and he died, we might be forced to do his job on a large scale attack (battle star fight or similar). On the other side, if we saved his life, we would be able to choose our position during that offensive operation.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:54 pm

Oohhh!! I like all your ideas. From the different ship-type-specific levels to the one mission influences the other idea!!

Go on with such ideas :P perhaps we can't implement them for this semester, but at a later point this could really make for some nice missions!

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:45 pm

The ideas are great and they are going to make the game special and interesting. Everything is super.
We should keep in mind though, that we want to show off. This means we have to give the player a lot, but not everything. Like a demo version of a commercial game.
I remember me and my friends playing demos of really big games and we had fun for hours. Of course we were limited to just that weapon and just that mission, but the whole concept was great.
I think that is our idea in the first place. We should give the player the possibility to choose between different ships. As for now I don't think it would be too bad if we give the player too much in the beginning, because we want him to have fun. He cannot really build a huge ship and play different missions and have a great career as space traveller, because we cannot do it, but what we can, is show him what he will see in the game. So we give him more ships than he should get in the beginning and give him a fierce mission, so he can play that level more than once (what use would an easy tutorial level be?) and what is really important: He has to see that there is more, which he cannot choose from (probably announce a new level or a weapon in the weapon shop which is too expensive but SOOOOO cool).

hofzge
Roshliikhh, lower servant to the Deities

Post by hofzge » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:44 pm

We are all getting a bit off topic. Maybe someone could open a new "ship types and their abilities" thread...

Because it's no longer visible from the title what we are discussing about I close this thread as I think that most of us agree with nicos good "abilities ideas".
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
-- William Gibson, Neuromancer