Top Down Vertical Scroller vs. Following Camera Shoot'em Up

Discussions about the look and feel of Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

What game type should be created?

TDVS
40%
FCSU
No votes
Both
60%

Total votes: 5

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Top Down Vertical Scroller vs. Following Camera Shoot'em Up

Post by nicolasc » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:41 pm

It seems, that we had a little misunderstanding, of how the game should be like. For some reason I thought that we were creating a FCSU (Following Camera Shoot'em Up - like Starfox) than a real TDVS (Top Down Vertical Scroller - like Chromium)
I was never a big fan of TDVS... and should we create a 2d-game while having a 3d-engine at our disposal. This is just a waste of resources...

So I am calling a poll...

cheers
nico

PS. Till now, I had the FCSU in mind. So all design concepts were for that type. Just remember that while reading my posts...

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:22 am

You forgot the option we're going for: "both".

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:19 am

beni wrote:You forgot the option we're going for: "both".
Ok... could you give me then an idea how this should look like??

@MOD: add option both!

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:34 pm

Well, since we are going to be able to change the camera angle in every direction it's practically possible to have a view like in starfox.

But not only that. Since we could also change from different kinds of control patterns, you do not just change the view but also the gameplay.

Of course, we have to put some limits to the FCSU Mode. That means that flying in space completely free isn't possible, because of the great effort we'd have to put in. But I really don't wanna list all the points. Weren't you there in the first lessons? Because I think we made that pretty clear from the start.

Marc
Human Space Navy Major

Post by Marc » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:14 pm

So do we have some dedicated level designers to create the "both" then :-) (I think creating a level to only be used in a vertical scroller from top-down level is already something that needs a person for a few weeks or the whole semester due to the way they are created and the needed balancing etc and currently there does not seem to exist a project for that topic at all. Only models and the space station, but nothing to fly to / through)

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:58 pm

beni wrote:That means that flying in space completely free isn't possible, because of the great effort we'd have to put in. But I really don't wanna list all the points.
I fully agree that it is too complicated to allow free flying, but - and that's why I prefer FCSU - you can use the depth for incoming enemies, and that way you have more time to react...
As I recall Starfox (I played the SNES version), it was basically follow a predefined path with some margin to maneuver - i.e you could evade a building to the right or to the left, or just fly over them.
But the more I think about it, I see your implication.
Marc wrote:I think creating a level to only be used in a vertical scroller from top-down level is already something that needs a person for a few weeks or the whole semester due to the way they are created and the needed balancing etc and currently there does not seem to exist a project for that topic at all.
Alright... I was the one who started with the KISS model, I am not going to change that opinion.

I guess it's better to postpone this discussion to later point - next semester or so... and if it's just to prevent a flamewar

cheers
nico

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:05 pm

Hey guys, relax, don't worry.

I didn't choose a project yet, so there is a good chance I will have to write the mission plot for the first level and put in your models and define some cool stuff happening.
The problem is, we cannot build a level just yet without anything working or even existing yet. So instead of worrying if your work is used in the future you should first do it, so we can use it.
I'm not implying you just sit around and complain. I've seen your work and I'm sure it's not "only" useful for a vertical scroller but also for a 3D action shooter. So your work will definitely last long and isn't for "nothing".

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:46 am

Hi guys,

Yes, I think to keep it simple for the beginning it a very good idea. We do need a simple playablility test, to see how much fun a TDVS is. And I'm sure, that all of us will have fun playing it.
nicolasc wrote:I guess it's better to postpone this discussion to later point - next semester or so... and if it's just to prevent a flamewar
I'm sure nobody wants to flame anybody in this forum! We are pros :wink: