Debugging using GDB: disabling mouse grabbing

Topics about the general development of Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

smerkli
Human Space Navy Lieutenant

Debugging using GDB: disabling mouse grabbing

Post by smerkli » Tue May 07, 2013 1:51 pm

Hey,

So far, when debugging Orxonox with GDB, the problem has been that
when GDB runs into a Breakpoint, Orxonox cannot release the mouse.
Me and fmauro figured out that one solution is to (for debugging purposes only) disable mouse grabbing fully by changing the InputManager::loadDevices() function to not grab the mouse even if exclusiveMouse_ is specified.
Now we need a way to quickly enable/disable this at build time, for example via a make target for debugging or some other settable option. What would be the correct way to do this?

- smerkli

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: Debugging using GDB: disabling mouse grabbing

Post by x3n » Wed May 08, 2013 8:05 pm

A make target doesn't sound right... you probably want to change the behaviour at runtime, don't you? I'd rather suggest a config value or a console command for this purpose.
However, I don't know what InputManager::loadDevices() does nor when it is called, and whether you can change any of those settings later... so maybe my suggestion doesn't work.

Edit: I tought there was already a solution to this problem? After all, this isn't new (though exclusively a Linux issue)
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer

smerkli
Human Space Navy Lieutenant

Post by smerkli » Tue May 14, 2013 11:40 am

Hey, it looks like there is a developer mode, but I have not found any listeners to the developer mode setting yet - I could possibly add another in-game setting to disable mouse grab altogether or make it automatically be disabled when developer mode is turned on. Does that make sense?

-s

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Thu May 16, 2013 7:37 pm

Yea I remember there's a developer mode, Reto implemented it, but I think it's always active unless you build Orxonox in release or install mode. So it's probably not exactly what you want
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer