Codenames and version numbers

Topics about the general development of Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

How should we call our releases?

Names of heroes from games
No votes
Names of villians from games
21%
Names of stars, planets
71%
Names of alcoholic beverages brands
No votes
Names of races from <insert scfi universe of your choice>
No votes
Names of catastrophes
7%

Total votes: 14

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Codenames and version numbers

Post by beni » Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:02 pm

Hi everyone.

Let's think about codenames for future Orxonox releases. I think it's cool and funny and a good organized roadmap and a motivating name for every milestone is already half of the work done (well, close ;-) )

Well, we discussed shortly about this matter at lunch and names from movies and stuff isn't that great without making the naming thing ridiculous.

We thought about giving the releases names from ITET lectures. Milestone 0.1 would be called "Digitech" in this case. Well it's probably a nice idea, but we should probably not rely on the ETH too much right now, since we search for a worldwide and none-ETH community as well.

So propose a naming system and give an example. I in my opinion like it when the names have something incremental. Meaning that we start at the bacteria or virus and stop at the homo sapiens (something like that).

A nice example is Ubuntu using a adjective and a animal name with the same letter at the beginning to name its releases. Also those animals get more intelligent and/or nicer to look at the higher the version goes.

With the version numbers we think it's good to go with the semesters. So this version here is 0.1 (since it's the first semester we started OrxonoxV2) monthly releases (if there are any) would be 0.1.10 for the October release. We get to 1.x when we think we can call it a game, a main release.

So questions now: what about codenames? Do we want any, if yes what kind and how? It would also be interesting to name the monthly releases. Ubuntu for example called the Feisty Fawn sub versions "herd", Gutsy Gibbon's sub versions are going to be "tribe".

Make your suggestions and we will start a poll if we have decided.
Last edited by beni on Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

lieni
Noxonian Reg'metholt

Post by lieni » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:22 pm

Omg, Version "Disk. Math" is gonna suck like hell... buggier than everything seen before ;-)
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:01 pm

DM saved my life last winter ;)

@topic:
Using ITET lectures as names for our releases was more a joke than a real proposition. ;)

Another suggestion: Lets name the releases after (big) catastrophes.

Examples:
- Hiroshima
- Titanic
- Hindenburg
- Chernobyl
- Pompeii
- Challenger
- Chicxulub

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:32 pm

Interesting..

My mother does name her jam after catastrophes as well. I'll bring some Concorde mirabelle jam ;)

I got this with the joke, I was merely retelling the joke, since I think it's a good example anyway.

Dorian
Human Space Navy Lieutenant

Post by Dorian » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:56 pm

What about names that have something to to with the game's topic? eg. galaxies, stars, or some names from sci-fi series....
Star names sound often exotic, here's a list of common names; perhaps we can combine something toghether so that it reflects this "ubuntu-naming-style"...
Only wimps use tape backup: real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it. (Linus Torvalds)

sandra
Human Space Navy Private

Post by sandra » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:10 am

I would also propose something which is more or less about the same topic as the game itself. Stars would sound great, but a disadvantage would be that the stars aren't in any order. So my suggestions:

-> Star's names, starting with A and followed by a star starting with the letter B and so on. I hope there's for every letter a name.

-> Planet's names, starting with the nearest to the sun for example. We might just run out of names one day ;)

-> Names of satellites, space stations or shuttles in some historical order, also I have no clue if they sound good or if there are enough.

lieni
Noxonian Reg'metholt

Post by lieni » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:23 pm

:) yeah, thats a good idea, lets just put all planet, star, nebula, satellite names and other intergalactic garbage (like han solo's millennium falcon) in a set, use quicksort over all their distances from earth.
For major releases we can use the planets, for smaller releases or patch level releases we can use the stars and satellites... and so on... until we finally reach the millennium falcon ;-)
Well, let's forget the millennium falcon... but names like phobos and deimos (sorry could just think only of some ordinary ones) sound cool in my opinion.

We should stick to that idea!

superegg
Human Space Navy Major

Post by superegg » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:48 pm

Well, the problem about this star system is that anybody else, better said anybody normal, would not know that these names are star names. They would get confused :D

Another idea would be to use the 8 planets in sun system (without earth since it's on a higher level than the other 8 ). The problem is then that the number is quite limited.

Dorian
Human Space Navy Lieutenant

Post by Dorian » Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:32 pm

And these names are so boringly well known... ;) Some uncommon names would do better in my opinion.
Only wimps use tape backup: real men just upload their important stuff on ftp, and let the rest of the world mirror it. (Linus Torvalds)

lieni
Noxonian Reg'metholt

Post by lieni » Sat Oct 20, 2007 7:47 pm

Yea, sure :) I was just too lazy to look up some new ones :) or do you also think that the planet names are boring?

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:47 am

I think it's a good idea. I would pick names though which are not that easy to recognize. Ogre uses those deities, which you just don't know if you don't know the books/games.

So I would rather go for cool names instead of correctness.

Dude
Human Space Navy Private

Post by Dude » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:42 pm

How about taking one TV series related to space, for example Stargate, that has a lot of episodes, and name every new release about the next episode. Or names of Star Trek races, since there are a lot, maybe Klingon's version :wink: I just can't imagine a possible order...
Now I just noticed the bottle of Korean rice wine on my bookshelf. We could name the releases after alcoholic beverages, starting with nonalcoholic beer, cause it also contains a little alcohol, and close with some very strange high percentage Russian vodka :D

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:27 pm

Dude wrote:How about taking one TV series related to space, for example Stargate, that has a lot of episodes, and name every new release about the next episode. Or names of Star Trek races, since there are a lot, maybe Klingon's version :wink: I just can't imagine a possible order...
Now I just noticed the bottle of Korean rice wine on my bookshelf. We could name the releases after alcoholic beverages, starting with nonalcoholic beer, cause it also contains a little alcohol, and close with some very strange high percentage Russian vodka :D
TV series is possible, but one has to be careful which one to use. Some series may be fun, but are ridiculous sources for names. Races of Star Trek or pick-your-favorite-scifi are good as long as it's a commonly accepted series.

Alcohol beverages are cool as well, when the names are appealing. I don't know if I like a Wahrsteiner release, really...
Also alcoholic beverages do not have that much to do with what we're standing for. That's a big point as well.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:47 pm

Fair point about the TV-series...
On the other hand, we might look like Debian - yikes.

just my $.02
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:37 pm

Toy Story??? Come on!! Now I know why I'll never have Debian.