Codename for Orxonox Version 0.3

Topics about the general development of Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

What should be codename for Orxonox v.0.3?

Poll ended at Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:00 pm

Canopus
11%
Capella
11%
Caph
11%
Castor
33%
Castula
No votes
Cebelrai
No votes
Celaeno
11%
Chara
No votes
Cheratan
22%
Cor Caroli
No votes
Cujam
No votes
Cursa
No votes

Total votes: 9

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Codename for Orxonox Version 0.3

Post by beni » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:00 pm

We don't even have the old milestone (Bellatrix) finished, but the new one should be organized rather quickly. "Be best prepared" is my motto... :D

We have several names (many many names) as options. They've all got some meaning:

Canopus: Acted as southern North Star for navigation. In mythology Canopus is said to be the the steersman of the Argo, the ship of the Argonauts. He was also the steersman of king Menelaus' ship who started the Troy War in order to retrieve his stolen Helen.

Capella: "little she goat" in Latin. The star represents Jupiter's goat, Amalthea. Jupiter accidentally broke off one of her horns, which later became the Cornucopia.

Caph: Arabic for "palm".

Castor: Mortal twin of the "Gemini" constellation. Means "beaver" in Latin and Greek.

Castula (Nu Cephei): Part of a multiple star system in the Cepheus constellation.

Cebelrai: Arabic for "shepherd dog"

Celaeno: Harpy, lover of the west wind. Her name means "darkness" as one of the three aspects of a storm. An amazon killed by Heracles was also called Celaeno. Also Poseidon's wife was named Celaeno.

Chara: Meaning "joy" in Greek, this star's system is one of the top candidate for extraterrestrial life. Its distance to our sun is 27,4 light years.

Cheratan: Arabic for "two small rips". 170 light years separates us from that distant star.

Cor Caroli: "Charles' Heart" after Charles I of England who died after the English Civil War 1651.

Cujam: Means "club" in Latin and is in the constellation of Hercules.

Cursa: Arabic for "footstool of the giant". It's a star, which is 90 light years away from Earth and part of the Eridanus constellation.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

lieni
Noxonian Reg'metholt

Post by lieni » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:23 am

come on guys... castor sounds so ************ ;)
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:26 pm

Only 6 votes are cast as of this moment. I would so gladly send out a mail to everybody, especially now that our mailman is working again, but I still need to create new lists, because the old lists were on Datacore and those are not working anymore. And without the email addresses from them, it is not possible to do that.

So.. What's going on with Datacore? We need those email-addresses for our precious fans!!
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:11 pm

If you make a release I have a small wish: could you please update the installation documents for all the systems you are currently developing on?

It is really time consuming for me trying to get it running at my home computer. And after work, you know how motivated one is to figure out how to install things... ;)

and yes. you may call me lazy now :)

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:24 pm

About the release: Is there any reason on earth we should make a release soon? I mean, a release would then be like a tag in the svn with the difference that no one will ever suggest to check it out for very obvious reasons (trunk is the most updated).

We have no game at all for the moment, there has only frame work been done. Fabian has created some very nice particle effects and AI ship and Felix has written an in game console and improved the HUD. But that's about it from the outside...

The text above was just for the case someone actually did think about tagging a release :D

Back to topic: I like Canopus.
http://www.xkcd.com/
A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.