PPS Projects

Topics about the general development of Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

PPS Projects

Post by x3n » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

The next semester starts in a few weeks and therefore we have to think about new student projects for the PPS. We use this thread to collect possible topics. If you have some ideas, please put them here, we'll use this list to create the actual project descriptions as soon as we've got enough inspiration. :)
Thanks.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:00 pm

I would like to commence with something I have prepared for almost 4 Weeks:

"Use the Lua scripting language to create a friendly graphical user interface that also enables us to configure Orxonox as we want. Available tools are extensions to the C++ code if necessary, an means with Lua and of a command interpreter that accepts command strings of any kind (CommandExecutor."

I definitely think this should be a viable Project for one semester. I bother a great deal to make this one as "student friendly" as possible within the given time (I'll have to attend other matters too of course).

What the student has to do in concrete:
- Learn lua (not too difficult)
- Get accustomed to the CEGUI tolua interface and CEGUI itself
- Become creative and design a beautiful GUI ;)
- Don't panic
http://www.xkcd.com/
A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:36 am

I would like to thank x3n for making this topic public in the first place, haven't realised it yet. I actually was quite surprised to read the thread from last semester...

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:53 pm

Here are my current ideas:

name / complexity
- AI / big
- Physics / big
- Gui Design / easy & time consuming
- Gui Code / medium
- binary distribution / medium
- Loading Bar / small-medium
- Calculation of Object priorities (needed for network synchronisation) / medium
- Level Design / creativity needed

(this list shall be updated)
Last edited by greenman on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:02 pm

Gui Design (as posted before): easy, but a lot of work.
Gui Code: medium

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:56 pm

Level Design (includes scripting (or blueprints of those)): creative, but potential is quite uncertain. Important though to know what's missing in content and game logic

Maybe this project is a bit early and not that satisfactory for a PPS student, but important nonetheless..
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

BadElvis
Human Space Navy Lord Commander

Post by BadElvis » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:01 pm

Apart from the standard space ship, that many like to create, the following ideas came to my mind:

Enhance Textures: Quite some work to do. Many old models have ugly textures or they have none at all. If we had a skilled 2d-artist in the team, that would be his job.

Uniform Weapon Interface: Once, we planned to create several weapons, that could be attached to the ships and also freely interchanged. Until now, there is no concept for this. We need the weapons to be the right size and we need a table that says, which ship accepts which weapon where.

Modular Space Station Design: With our new space station as a base, a possible project would be to adapt it a little bit and create additional parts. In the end we would get many parts, that fit together and with which we can create stations, that are as large as we like.

Logos and other 2d-work: A project, that has a lot to do with level design. All our factions and whatever entities could use a logo. In addition, we need a title screen and other 2d-work.

Oh yeah, and if anyone hasn't got work anymore, he can always clean up the wiki...

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:24 am

please submit the projects to the ticket system. use PPS as keyword, so that we can filter out other tickets not suitable for pps students.

thanks in advance ;)
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 9:08 am

thanks for configuring the filter. I shall Add the GUI things to the ticket sysytem (there is already a ticket I'm just going to modify..)

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:00 am

thanks and don't forget to mention that we need a configuration submenu ;)

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:27 pm

yeah, yeah, going to edit the text next time I've got time for that. I'm in a train at the moment ;)