Audio in Orxonox: Atmospherics and Sounds

Topics about the general development of Orxonox.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

youngk
Noxonian Warkmrghon

Re: Audio in Orxonox: Atmospherics and Sounds

Post by youngk » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:17 pm

At your command!

My request to all: Please give me feedback on the music that I've uploaded!
Short explanation to the songs:

Earth - Was created with a busy and overpopulated system in mind. Fast Beat and no breaks.
Mars - Heavy mining activities and low quality of life due to the harsh climate on the planet.
Jupiter - The strong gravity well of the planet makes orbiting stations impossible so research teams are stationed on the larger satellites like Ganymede.
Ganymede - I tried to represent the quickly advancing R&D of the human faction, while still keeping the enormously huge Jupiter in the background.

Cheers and Thanks, kev
Постич?

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:13 am

Hey

I really like the music so far. I think it suits well as background music for the levels. The only thing I'd like to criticize is that the Mars and Jupiter music sounds quite similar and the Mars one is much too silent. I think it could be more lively, as there is still a lot going on despite the hard conditions.

I like the Ganymede soundtrack for its similarity to the Jupiter soundtrack. The Alpha Centauri (or Omikron??) one sounds nice as well. The mystery to the new undiscovered system is captured nicely.

About the Earth soundtrack: I think you can hear the blue color and the busyness. That's very cool. You can also hear that it is human sound and not alien sound :D.
It is the most active and diverse soundtrack of them all, which I like. Maybe the others could also be more diverse, I don't know. One should still feel the emptiness around Jupiter so too much going on in the background could be counterproductive.

Sometimes I'm afraid the soundtracks are too silent, but then it should be used as background music and when I think of the Portal soundtracks, I'm sure we're on a good track here.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

youngk
Noxonian Warkmrghon

Post by youngk » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:02 pm

@beni

Thanks a lot! That'll give me something to work on this week - not that I don't have anything to do :). Funny that you say, Mars is too quiet (I guess you meant "life-less"), because I felt that Mars was the only sound that portrayed the openness of space. I'll work on the life part of it though :). You're right about Jupiter - I had the uncanny feeling that it was quite similar to Mars, after all I made them on the same weekend.
About the Volume - I played them in-game and contrary to you, I always hat the feeling that they were too loud, too much in the foreground. But I guess that's a matter of opinion.

We'll call the "Omikron System" "Alpha Centauri" from now on - because there is simply no Omikron System in the game :) - I'll adjust the name in the repo with my next commit.

Cheers - Kev
Постич?

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:19 am

youngk wrote:About the Volume - I played them in-game and contrary to you, I always hat the feeling that they were too loud, too much in the foreground. But I guess that's a matter of opinion.
I did NOT have the possibility to listen to the music ingame, but instead I was working while listening to it.
With the music ingame you really have to think what else is going on in the universe. Of course sometimes it is very silent, and there the music must not be too much to the foreground! In other situations you have a fight with explosions everywhere, lasers and other projectiles impacting on your shields and radio messages from your enemies and allies, where a cool soundtrack is a very important thing to have and could not be in the foreground enough.

I remember the part in HL2 where you usually don't hear much music, but when you enter the prison at the cliff (I hope you know where) you get into a real fire fight with the guards. The whole fight is very long and tiring, but the amazing soundtrack (I think in this case it is rock) is really firing you up and puts you in a fighting mood.

So yes, I guess it is a matter of opinion and I think you should take my review of your music with a grain of salt, as I couldn't listen to it while playing the game.
For the Earth, which is a very busy place, the music seems quite good and I don't believe the soundtrack will be too much in the foreground, for the other systems it's maybe not as silent as I made it out to be.

Think of how to solve the problem of fights in a silent system or the building up of suspense in a busy system.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."