Wiki/forum content

Everything concerning SVN, our wiki and this forum.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

hofzge
Roshliikhh, lower servant to the Deities

Wiki/forum content

Post by hofzge » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:22 am

Unfortunately many of the content pages on Wiki appear to have been made in a guerilla style of creation, meaning that they were made in conflict with the story and the universe. Also it appears that there are pages like design proposal, which are outdated and which speak of content and gameplay features which will not be included as of the thinktank meeting.

If it's ok, I will try to reform these pages and try to blend them in with the thinktank meeting (I have a few questions for you, Patrick, about making new and deleting old pages).

It seems that we have somehow lost track of Trip Hawkins and his "simple, hot and deep" (especially the part, where it says simple).

In my view we really need to rethink the Wiki/forum thing, as there is so much info which is not up to date or only contained on one source.

I think that no more story whatsoever is to be published on the Wiki until it's sanctioned by some convention/meeting/body of content creation. All proposals should be published in the forum and then amalgamated into stainless steel content concepts, which are then published on Wiki.

This way Wiki is clean and only the forum is chaotic, whereas now there is a lot of chaos on the Wiki (if it's ok I can try to bring order to this, by somehow administrating and correcting Wiki).
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
-- William Gibson, Neuromancer

hofzge

Post by hofzge » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:46 am

Hmm, I got yet a few more rants about the Wiki:
  • Wiki has no language :arrow: a few pages are german and others English. If it is indeed a general wish to make Orxonox an English game, I can translate the pages (well, this will take lots of time), but first we need to discuss about what was said before concerning forum/Wiki
  • The navigation bar in Wiki is outdated. It links to pages of the first PSS for example and only to half of the developer homes. If the bar is to be displayed on the PPS pages, then it should also be updated.
  • There are words like: Noxons, Orxonox and Wiki, which are throughout the Wiki pages spelt in a myriad of different spellings. We must find a unified way of writing Orxonox or orxonox, or else the web pages might just appear to be made by very unprofessional people
I hope someone reads this thread, as it seems there are rather few people posting here as compared to Wiki and it makes little sense if no one reads these guidelines. I know that until now 99% of the time spent creating Orxonox was spent programming, but to make it appeal to the general public and the open source community we must make Orxonox look sexy and glamorous!

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Post by Nowic » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:13 am

I read your thread and fully agree! :D
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:47 am

hofzge you are not alone :wink:

I agree with you: there needs to be some posting rules for the Wiki. In the forum on the other hand it is very important, as you said, that people can just speak about whatever they want. It should become the community's meeting place to speak about game related stuff.

Story and Content There is definitly much stuff available, that is not used anymore. Many ideas, that have been discarded. But I suggest to not throw them away, since they were someones work and ideas. We could make an archive section, where we can put old stuff to. In respect to the time that these persons spent to write these pages. And it could also be useful to get further ideas in a later stage of the project.
So how do you like this archiving idea?
And I simply love the simple, hot and deep principle, but it's just so much work to keep it simple :P
I think that no more story whatsoever is to be published on the Wiki until it's sanctioned by some convention/meeting/body of content creation. All proposals should be published in the forum and then amalgamated into stainless steel content concepts, which are then published on Wiki.
This is the way we agreed upon yesterday. So we were probably both thinking the same at the same time :shock:
:arrow: This will also make the forum more interactive.

So future development will be kept this way. I hope you will give us some feedback once we start working on the PPS projects.
About the old content: I won't have time to rewrite the stuff with the PPS organization work in parallel.

Thanks for the inputs![/b]

hofzge

Post by hofzge » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:54 am

patrick wrote:hofzge you are not alone :wink:
Well gee thanks! :D No kidding: It's good that we have the same ideas.
patrick wrote: Story and Content There is definitly much stuff available, that is not used anymore. Many ideas, that have been discarded. But I suggest to not throw them away, since they were someones work and ideas. We could make an archive section, where we can put old stuff to. In respect to the time that these persons spent to write these pages. And it could also be useful to get further ideas in a later stage of the project.
So how do you like this archiving idea?
I think we can somehow move the game ideas, which are outdated here (into content creation as sticky posts for everybody to read).
patrick wrote: And I simply love the simple, hot and deep principle, but it's just so much work to keep it simple :P
Well, don't we all love it? That's why I would like to help bring a little order (I hope I am not intruding too much), by reorganising the Wiki, so it can be better used as a help for the developers. Once content and programming on the Wiki are "clean" and all the ideas-in-development or ideas-long-lost are here, it's also easier for the PPSers to find their way.
I had a look at all the Wiki pages; there are literally gazillions of pages about content, but they are linked in a very awkward way, which means that the information can basicly only be found from the "Title Index" page...

patrick wrote: So future development will be kept this way. I hope you will give us some feedback once we start working on the PPS projects.
About the old content: I won't have time to rewrite the stuff with the PPS organization work in parallel.
Sure: that's why I want to do this. It's clear to me, that you don't have enough time to review and correct everything.
patrick wrote: Thanks for the inputs!
No thanks :arrow: I have not done too much yet... :D

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:30 pm

I can help you redoing the content pages, as they are mostly my work and I know what should be discarded or archived. It's a good idea to put it in the forum, to make the Wiki clean as you said.
I think it's really cool how you care about the appearance of Orxonox, which wasn't an issue til the last meeting.

While we all have a lot to do to start the PPS with the students, it would be great if you could improve the appearance. The semi- or unprofessionel pages are in fact something which bothered me for a long time. I never got to make it an issue though.

We definitely value your work high. Thanks.

hofzge

Post by hofzge » Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:34 pm

First of all: thanks!

Only with your help can the Wiki be reorganized, as you are the only one who truely knows all of the storytelling pages. I would rather not throw away any pages, but as patrick suggested stow them away in a new folder on Wiki. This would already improve Wiki navigation a lot.

I care a lot about the appearance of Orxonox, as I think, that this "marketing" can attract a lot of non-ETH non-UniZh programmers, which would help make Orxonox become what it is destined to be: a great game! As I am no good programmer but a big bureaucrat, the only think I can do is bring law and order :roll: and correct spelling.

I will close this thread as it seems we have agreement on the course set.
@Beni: I will talk to you about how and where to reorganise the content part of Wiki.