Peer Reviews

Everything concerning SVN, our wiki and this forum.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Peer Reviews

Post by patrick » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:56 pm

hi all,

I just installed the code review tool into the Trac web interface. It's a plugin that allows developers to ask for code reviews.

A code review is a request to another developer to read through an indicated piece of code and to give feedback about this. It's very important to do that and I am sure that all can learn from this.

These are the rules to do code review:
- First goal of code reviewing: Imagine you using the code you are reviewing, do you find the interface useful and easy to understand? Does the code do what it's meant to do?
- Second goal of code reviewing: Try to find weak spots in the code that may cause errors at runtime later on.
- Third goal of code reviewing: Ask to code after the coding style guide if appropriate.
- Be nice! Nobody likes to get negative critics about work done. So whatever you are argumenting: Do it in a nice way and be sure to not be to picky!

Always ask people to do code review for:
- Critical code sections: Are used by many other modules, may imply severe malfunctions if it doesn't work
- Interfaces: If you have designed a new module you will ask for a code review to be done on the header file.
- Closed (almost finished) modules: modules that are almost done coding

You will find the code review option on the web page (Development section) on the far right. Play with it!

Don't hesitate to ask me for code reviews. Enjoy!

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: Peer Reviews

Post by x3n » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:44 pm

Cool, thanks :D

patrick wrote:You will find the code review option on the web page (Development section) on the far right.
Note: You have to be logged in to see the option on the webpage.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:23 pm

It's great, I already reviewed something...
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."