Strange trac behavior...

Everything concerning SVN, our wiki and this forum.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

BadElvis
Human Space Navy Lord Commander

Strange trac behavior...

Post by BadElvis » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:30 am

For about a week or so have occasionally gotten a weird error when loading an orxonox-trac-page. Instead of the desired page I got an error message like the following:

[Link removed]

After a 1 or 2 reloads, the page showed up properly. Am I the only one, who gets this weird error?
Last edited by BadElvis on Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:58 am

I had this problem too. I think this was due to wrong permission settings in the trac plugin directory.

I think Nicolasc fixed it :P

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:42 am

He did, a bit. Before it was impossible to even load it after several reloads. It was really based on luck to see anything else than the error page.
But yeah. It is still an often occurrence.
Nicolasc said, that there is something with the log files of the apache server, but it's better he explains it.. and fixes it for real.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:20 pm

If you had asked me last weekend, I would have confirmed the error - but every since, it did not reappear.

What cause the original error - not absolutely sure, but my best guess:
The weekend before, I installed logrotate in order to reduce disk usage - 2GB of apache logfiles ist just to much. Installation was seamless, the test run was successful - but for some reason it did not restart the apache server as requested. One week later - as the logs get rotated on a weekly basis - the script gets run again and restarts apache after having done so. By doing this it may have caused a module which worked fine before to fail...
I am not quite sure what I did to fix it - changing permissions, multiple apache restarts, some other things - and it started to work again. With some trouble in the beginning, but I haven't seen the error since then.

I continue to look into it, but I don't have much time right now - maybe coming weekend or after the exams...

Looking through the servers specs and the entire setup, I found some issues - not sure if I should worry, or just be glad that it works - and that the hardware is coming to its limits - rather full disk and ram...
I mentioned it to beni already - I do have a "old" mainboard with p4, maybe some ram - needs testing - lying around at home which I could donate. (AFAIK we still need to change that housing, don't we?). And I would feel a bit more comfortable having a raid1 setup in that server - so in case of a hdd failure, we can still work on. I don't know about any backups having been run. Feel free to bug me in irc about it....

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:53 pm

The trac problem reappeared today. It happens every first time I request the Orxonox trac page.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:08 pm

Strangely enough the error did not reappear on my system - and I access the trac daily.

What page are you trying to load? Is it a specific one, or does it appear at random. (I normally access the trac through [https://www.]orxonox.net/timeline)

PS: There are some updates lined up for after my exams, but except for apache - which could get messy - nothing that trac directly depends on.
@patrick: Some explanations about the setup might be nice, before I blow it to hell... :twisted:

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:19 pm

Haven't seen the problem anymore lately. I dunno how to reproduce it at all. Neither new pages, nor pages often or seldom accessed share that behavior. Just occurs sometimes, but as I said. Not that much anymore lately...

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:27 pm

I haven't done anything so far...
Did it reappear?

lieni
Noxonian Reg'metholt

Post by lieni » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:19 pm

I've seen it a lot during the last days, especially while opening old change sets.
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:10 pm

I didn't see it lately. But it's still strange... Is there something that changes the permission settings of these directories to prevent them from being read from?

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Post by Nowic » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:31 am

Are you talking about this error: "The following error occurred while trying to extract file(s) to the Python egg cache"?

Today I tired to edit the Debian HowTo... but it hardly showed up. About 4 reloads are needed to see it and none of my edits worked. :-/
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sat May 31, 2008 2:23 pm

This is becoming a serious problem. Not only does it make difficult for us to change the site and navigate, but more importantly:
Since this error occurs more often nowadays, visitors will click away and experience strange errors which they don't understand. Imagine how you would react when that stuff happens on a site you don't know!

This error first occurred when Nico changed and upgraded the wiki. I don't understand the error message. Is there anyone who knows more about python and the trac-wiki?

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:40 am

atm I have 100% chance to get this error. Everybody will think this page is down and the project dead...

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:59 am

Ok. I have made a hot-fix. It should work now.

If the error reoccurs let me know.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:09 pm

Cool, thanks :)
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer