Windows Maintainer

A place to discuss everything about the Orxonox framework.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Windows Maintainer

Post by patrick » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:51 pm

We strongly need a Windows maintainer: someone that is able to compile Orxonox on Windows to make binaries for our releases.

Additionaly it would be very good, if he/she is willing to trace some bugs, that only exist on the Windows system. Of course I will assist him/her as much as I can :wink:
  • he/she would need to have a gdb or some other debugger.
  • he/she should think about compiling/debugging on Microsoft's visual studio
Many people will thank and adore you, if you make Orxonox playable on Windows :D

Marc
Human Space Navy Major

Post by Marc » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:00 am

I am interested in this task, as I am extremely annoyed of the impossibility of building Orxonox on my Windows system. I've spent about 10 hours trying different approaches like msys, DevC++, Code::Blocks, always using the current GCC (i.e. 3.4.2), but to no avail yet.

I have Visual C++ Pro 2005, which I could use to maintain the Windows side (I would provide a solution, meaning a project, for Visual C++ 2005 as well).

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:50 am

We should also think about a native compilation of Orxonox on Windows, as Bensch suggested earlier. Like that we wouldn't need msys and similar tools to compile it.
But that's probably a bit too much for now.

Since I always played and worked on Orxonox on Windows anyway and I really depend on Orxonox to work on Windows, I am also eager to find problems on Windows. I can report the first "bug" already: automake cannot download the libraries with the command wget on windows. I know it's easy to download it manually, but I still wanted to report the first problem I encountered when compiling on Windows.

Marc
Human Space Navy Major

Post by Marc » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:59 am

Hmm, my lua was able to wget (perhaps you have your firewall set to not allow exceptions?)

My main problem with Visual C++ & Orxonox is: Orxonox depends on Qt and the gpl version of Qt only supports GCC on Windows.
Last edited by Marc on Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:26 am

I've only got a router. I don't need a firewall cause my windows has never been attacked by anything. I don't get the people how have to reinstall that operating system every quarter of a year.

That was also what I meant with "too much". The changes we have to make will be quite big I guess, so this idea shouldn't be our main target.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:55 am

Compiling with Visual Studio is as native a compilation as we can wish for. It's an old idea that is almost as old as Orxonox itself :wink: but neither Bensch nor I had the courage and experience to do it. That's why I would say that two persons maintaining Windows would be better than just one, so you can exchange your knowledge. There are enough bugs to find for all of us 8)
And its always good to have a second opinion..

btw: there is Qt integration ability for visual studio here

You can find the Visual Studio Express IDE here.
It supports compilation, debugging, syntax highlighting etc.

Here is the mission list :D I'm very grateful that you are both willing to work on the Windows build. This is definitly something the gamers will appreciate!
:beerchug:

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:59 am

Yeah. Orxonox just compiled on Windows easily.

Problem is now, that Orxonox segfaults when I start it. We're on track of the problem.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:19 pm

Bug fixed by bensch. Now the latest revision of the trunk works on windows.

Stuff we have to check out:
  • Atmosphere level ain't working. Probable cause is my old openGL version, but the graphics card is good enough for the shader effects shown in this level.
  • No sound or music
  • MD2 Models do not work, but I guess we have the same problem with linux versions.

bensch
Admiral Alexi Sarkhov

Post by bensch » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:22 am

This is strange, because on my side, it works perfectly.

I see the MD2 models, have sound (even better than on Linux) and even the water gets rendered with shaders.

Maybe you compiled orxonox with other libraries, as this almost always the problem...

Could you please try and use the precompiled version from the net??

http://www.orxonox.net/files/snapshots/orxonox.zip

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:23 pm

I started your binary and you're right: Sound works fine (don't know if it's better, but it works fine).
MD2 Models are there, but sometimes do not move (For example the roboter arm I made, which operates in the hangar).
Water still doesn't load. I will try to find a newer driver for my graphics card. I will also post the backtrace of the problem soon.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:48 pm

I think the shader-problem refers to this bug-report:
viewtopic.php?t=9

bensch
Admiral Alexi Sarkhov

Post by bensch » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:14 am

Beni: does your system segfault in the water level, or is the water not rendered??

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:59 am

This may be. I kinda don't get how one can activate shaders. I though this either works or it doesn't. With my graphic card it should work (I mean it's working with yours, so why not with mine as well?)

But if we can fix that, it would be great.

@Bensch: The Game segfaults when it loads the water level, however I can't make a backtrace. GDB just doesn't put anything out.

bensch
Admiral Alexi Sarkhov

Post by bensch » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:30 pm

It may be, that your graphics card just does not support shader 2.0, and thus is segfaulting on a call to any shader function.
This bug is, as patrick has said earlier, related to
viewtopic.php?t=9

cheers