Directory structure in /src

A place to discuss everything about the Orxonox framework.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: Directory structure in /src

Post by 1337 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:40 am

Yep, this solves exactly this problem. The problem was not at link time though but rather at run time, where windows only searches the standard paths (plus the ones in PATH) for dlls but not the path of the DLL being loaded just now. So if you load the quest plugin before the overlays plugin, overlays will get loaded automatically (but only once as fabian tested).
Under linux this should not be a problem because the libraries get path information about their dependencies (so called rpaths).
http://www.xkcd.com/
A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:36 pm

@greenman: There never was a problem with linking (of course just in one direction, crosslinking isn't supported). As reto said, the problem only occurred at runtime and this is solved now.
Linking modules in general is fine and makes sense in many cases (not in all though). For example you can add new overlay elements with new gametypes and put both, the gametype and the overlay elements, into a plugin. Then you have to link the overlays module into the new plugin. Therefore you don't have to modify existing modules if you want to add a plugin (I'm calling this intentionally "plugin" because it could be a custom game modification by a user - see my skilled drawing below).

Code: Select all

Main Library
 |
 |    /¯\
 v   v   |
Modules  |
 |   \__/
 |
 v
Plugins
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:25 pm

Back to topic, let us finish the directory discussion. Oli proposed to remove the 'orxonox' folder and Reto advocated shorter paths, so I guess Olis proposal is ok for all?

src
  extern
    bullet
    ceguilua
    cpptcl
    ogreceguirenderer
    ois
    tinyxml
    tolua
  libraries
    core
    network
    tools (new)
    util
  main (library + executable)
  modules
    gamestates (new)
    overlays (new)
    questsystem (new)
Comments?

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:03 pm

Actually I do have a comment:
the "main" folder still bothers me because the orxonox library doesn't really have much to do with "main" (you might compare it to "core" though..). Shouldn't the orxonox library go into the library folder?

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:50 pm

So you're proposing something like this?

src
  extern
    [...]
  libraries
    orxonox
    [...]
  modules
    [...]
Looks fine too, but then of course you again have a deeper directory structure for the orxonox/main library files. And we somehow lose the implicit information that the main/orxonox library is central to the whole structure.

Personally I prefer something like that (which is the same like in my post before, but with main renamed as orxonox):

src
  extern
    [...]
  libraries
    [...]
  modules
    [...]
  orxonox
What do you think?

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:29 am

I would also prefer to have this main/orxonox folder directly in the src directory. And I don't really care about the naming of it ^^
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:00 am

I always care about naming things ;)
And I think I can agree to the proposal because plugins will probably always be an extension of the orxonox library.

So I suppose we have a consensus and you can reorder the files after both our branches have been merged (I should be around until the Sunday after tomorrow). I have moved quite some code in the build system, but there's just about 5 lines to be merged manually into moved files.

And if we're already moving stuff: What about one or two more subfolders in the core? But I guess it's probably not very clear which files to move. So the only files I could more or less clearly assign were those related to console commands (tcl stuff, command executor, functor, executor, etc.). That would be about 24 files. What do you think?

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:21 pm

Ok, then I'll move the libraries after the merge. Thanks for the input.

1337 wrote:And if we're already moving stuff: What about one or two more subfolders in the core? But I guess it's probably not very clear which files to move. So the only files I could more or less clearly assign were those related to console commands (tcl stuff, command executor, functor, executor, etc.). That would be about 24 files. What do you think?
Yes I agree in general, but I also don't see many separable files... Of course you can always pick out some files and put them into a subdirectory, but is it helpful? It makes the inclusion more difficult (for people not working in the core) while on the other hand people which DO work in the core have a pretty good overview of the files and don't need more structure. So in my opinion it only makes sense for files which are of internal use in the core and not included in other places. And then I'm still not sure if there's an advantage.

But there's also quite a mess in the objects directory, especially the worldentities. But I also don't see many options, except maybe a subdirectory for graphical classes like Model, Billboard and the others. But then we're still left with a bunch of unrelated classes like PongCenterpoint or Attacher or ForceField. So we'll probably end up with either a subdirectory for each file or one big collection in the basedirectory (for t -> infinity) ;) i.e. there's no global solution, just an iterative approach (as soon as there are enough files of a kind, move them into a subdirectory).

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:55 pm

I haven't had a look at the object hierarchy files.

About the core: There is only one advantage, I agree. But there are already 97 files in the core folder (without input). That's quite a lot (please don't compare with other projects ^^).