Orxonox Think Tank and Developer Meeting

Important improvements are announced here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Orxonox Think Tank and Developer Meeting

Post by beni » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:26 am

Hi everybody!

It's been a while since the developers of Orxonox have met and discussed their ideas about the future of Orxonox. That's why we will meet and discuss and code a bit on a Saturday afternoon.

We'll organize the food so people don't have to worry about lunch or dinner.

The location is not set yet, but will be announced early enough. It's gonna be in the area of Zurich.

Here is the Doodle link where you can choose the date.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: Orxonox Think Tank and Developer Meeting

Post by beni » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:12 pm

A time and place have been decided for the meeting.

November 2nd, 2pm at SCS.

Write to x3n when you need more information on how to get into the building on a Saturday. He will however send an email around about that. If you don't get it and want to come. Write to him.

I'm looking forward to see you guys.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:46 pm

Currently we expect that everyone who signed up in the doodle poll will join our meeting (8 people). Other people that want to join please respond to this thread or send a message to me or beni.

If you signed up in the doodle poll and changed your mind (i.e. you don't want to come) please let us know so we can estimate the number of participants.

I'll send everyone (people that signed up in the doodle poll or this thread) a reminder for the meeting a few days in advance with additional details about the location and the schedule.
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:19 pm

Alright, so for people coming to the Orxonox Think Tank and Developer Meeting on the 2nd November we want to make a small list ahead of time so don't all go to the meeting unprepared.

Most of all we will discuss new ideas for features of the game, about its story etc. It's best to have some examples. So people can suggest to make a race like StarCraft's Protons or a mission similar to when the Master Chief first finds out about the Flood in Halo1.

The room we meet in has a beamer so you can show us videos and gameplay during the meeting.

At the end of the day we would like to have a couple of loose concepts, but also a list of concrete features that we can make tasks from. These tasks will then be incorporated into our development process.

You can also add ideas about the development process. Maybe a tool or a method that you know we could benefit from and facilitate the development on Orxonox will be welcome.

The PPS will be a secondary topic. Certainly our decisions and discussions will affect the PPS, but the PPS topics for this semester are already set and are being worked on, so this won't be a focus.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:55 pm

The Meeting is also a place to present something: a cool new feature that was added since the last meeting; a new concept or development technique that you learned and want to share with us; or simply a scene from another game that you like. You may also pick some code examples and show us where you want to improve something in our code-base.

We can discuss anything which is related to Orxonox and its development. You can even suggest topics which are not directly related to Orxonox if everyone is interested - after all it's all about learning and improving.

Now please write down your suggestions in this thread!

(On a side note: The meeting will be held in german, so you can also suggest topics in german if you prefer)

The Jo
General DuGalle

Post by The Jo » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:15 am

I can prepare something about:
a) "Report from the content front." What is currently prepared. And how I see how Orxonox should advance from the view of a level designer.

b) Some short Scifi-thoughts. Which approaches might enable access to space on a much broader perspective. (short)
Fail. Fail again. Fail better.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:28 pm

I'd like to put the following topics on the agenda:
  • I'd like to tell you a little bit about (unit-)testing in general and give you a small practical example of how this can be done in Orxonox
  • I like Jo's suggestion to talk about past and future work on Orxonox. I would like to cover the framework development
  • Sometimes I fear Orxonox evolves slower and slower and may die at last; hence I want to talk with you about how we can conquer this development and present some suggestions from a project manager's point of view

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:17 pm

I'd like to talk about the following besides already mentioned points:
  • Content Creation beyond models and textures. How are we going to get all the voices, sound effects, music, rendered movies, animations, story etc. for the game.
  • Website. Any interesting webtools that could help us developing Orxonox.
  • Uniqe features. Stuff that just don't exist in games yet, unrealistic or not.