New webpage task force

Propose and discuss new features yet to come.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

New webpage task force

Post by patrick » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:03 pm

We have talked much about the orxonox webpage. It's now time to make a start:

Let's create a webpage task force, their goals:

1. Define weaknesses, points to improve on the old webpage
2. Find different ways to improve our current page (e.g.: rewrite html, switch to a new wiki, switch to our current trac wiki)
3. Find the tasks to be dealt with
4. Do the work

Who's with the webpage task force?

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:50 pm

I'm in for it, but I won't make this all alone. I've got exams for which I have to be prepared.
I think the wiki, does not need any improvements. What we need is a better webpage as a entrance, which should summarize what's going on, inform the novice about the project and show stuff.

The webpage should not be used for development, for this we have a well working wiki. I think nobody was complaining about it so far. Of course we can review it, if anybody thinks this is necessary.

The webpage itself should just show off. People have to find news, screenshots and downloads immediately.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Post by Nowic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:45 pm

I'm motivated to help!

We should remove the webpage completely in my opinion and move all the content into the wiki. Maybe we can even move the website design or use some images for a new wiki theme. The current webpage structure sucks anyway...

This way, much more people can (and will) contribute to the page. Even students can add images of their work to the gallery, and so on... and bad things can be reverted. That will make the page much more attractive and reduces webmaster efforts.

What do you think?
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:54 pm

The webpage at the moment is svn based. You just have to check it out, make your changes and upload it. The problem is, that you don't have the rights for this.

I wouldn't use the wiki as home, because a wiki has too many options a visitor does not need. I don't wanna learn how the wiki works and how I find the stuff I search for.
There should be some cool frontpage, simple with just a few things. Then a link to the wiki which in my opinion is already pretty good structured. There the visitor can learn more about the development and can contribute.

I agree that the webpage at the moment is not very good and the gallery is outdated. It should be easy for everybody to upload something to the gallery, so something wiki-related isn't a bad idea. Also a visual lifting of the wiki is a good idea.

Nowic

Post by Nowic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:14 pm

Ok, maybe that's an even better solution. A nice welcome page (static html), including the news php-script. And all the links lead to the content in the trac-wiki (or the forum).

I'm motivated to create this page. (x)html, css, java-script, php, ruby, python and sql knowledge is present.
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:57 pm

yuhui!!!

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:56 pm

Nowic and I discussed the matter in ICQ. In a few days, Nowic can actually start with the page.

@patrick: From you we probably need some information about the wiki. I've read some pages which are online, but I guess you have to operate on Nautilus directly to change something, right?

At least I think, that the normal visitor should not have too much contact with the wiki, so we probably have to change the appearance of the wiki.

hofzge
Roshliikhh, lower servant to the Deities

Post by hofzge » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:24 am

I don't know why you all like the wiki so much. It's rather chaotic, as many pages are content created by the developers and it should not be too directly liked to the page. A visitor wants an understandable structure and a slim webpage, which is updated often with news. The wiki is for developers and it should stay this way. Don't mix the two.
For the rest (front page, gallery) I completely agree with Nowic and Beni, but due to lack of webpage programming skills I won't be a great help.
I would like to update the news if you need someone to do this. I think I am better suited to fill in content than to programm... Oh, I am such a loser :)
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
-- William Gibson, Neuromancer

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:59 am

There we have the three members for the webpage task force. ohh... how I love this task-forcing :D

Here my offer: Nowic, Beni and Hofzge, please come to the bbq next monday at my place. So you may be able to settle things down.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:50 am

Wooohooo bbq

hofzge
Roshliikhh, lower servant to the Deities

Post by hofzge » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:58 am

@ Patrick: You may have forgotten, that we both (at least I for sure) won't be there on Monday, cause I will kick someones A** in WH40k. You said, that you will also come so I take it we do postpone this meeting.
Unfortunately I have my holidays starting next Friday, so I hope we can squeeze that in sometime sooner.
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
-- William Gibson, Neuromancer

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:36 am

Booohooo, no bbq.

Nowic

Post by Nowic » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:50 am

let's make a droodle... or doodle... or how is it called?

Nowic

Post by Nowic » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:26 pm

An example of a page completely inside Trac. The public wiki pages can look very nice with a good theme. Galleries look good too. But thier Trac version is a little bit newer (0.10 <> 0.9.6).

http://www.listen-project.org/

bensch
Admiral Alexi Sarkhov

Post by bensch » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:57 am

The page looks nice, but as some people have mentioned it is not the easiest way for a first time visitor to handle a trac. Especially windows gamers :)

In my opinion a wiki would be the best and most adaptable joice, but a reimplementation of a PHP/CSS/and-so-on page is ok too, if we have someone with a good background... (send us ur cv's :) )
I will also join in for the server-side support