Level Editor

Propose and discuss new features yet to come.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

The Jo
General DuGalle

Level Editor

Post by The Jo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:44 pm

It's quite difficult to create a level directly via xml, since you always have to check how your "code" looks in reality. Furthermore if you insert an error the only feedback you get is that your level won't load.
Another point is that I don't see directly which models really are available.

=> An editor would simplify the level creation process and would enable a wider amount of people to create levels for Orxonox.

----------------
Idea's about the editor's functions:
-What you see is what you get: You should be able to place Models directly in a level and let the editor create an xml-file of the resulting scene.
-The editor should force the user to create files only according to our licence.
-The editor should have a list of all created models and particle effects.
-The editor should have a list of some common patterns (=lua scripts): add randomness to objects, place objects in a circle or line, ....
Fail. Fail again. Fail better.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: Level Editor

Post by x3n » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:03 pm

you're right and that's also our opinion. an editor is definitely planned, and I even have some pretty elaborate concepts, but so far no one of us found time to implement it.

however i really like the idea of a feature list in this thread, so everyone that feels like contributing can write his/hers ideas down and we'll hopefully implement it as soon as we start working on the editor. :)
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer