I've dug myself into that problem a little bit: Finding the problem myself seemed impossible, so I asked google.
Here is what I came up with:
When compiling ogre with gtk, there is an issue with FreeImage (FreeImage uses customised libPNG, but under bad circumstances the native ones are used)
I haven't found a fix for this problem. What we can do is building Ogre with DEvil instead of FreeImage. This most certainly fixes the problem.
OR, we could just use jpegs since they cause no problem as far as I have heard.
Another hope: Update to Ogre v1.4.7 because 1.4.6 uses a newer version of FreeImage. Or maybe we just need to update FreeImage and Ogre will use that.
I think we might want to contact the ISG. Moreover the tcl stuff needs boost 1.35 which is not present on the tardis computers.
Here are the links I've found:
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 6f4e2718c6
And a citation from the forum:
theres a known conflict with FreeImage and libpng ; if you compile ogre with freeimage and have libpng on your system it could possibly crash in random places. The fix for this seems to be to just disable freeimage when you build ogre, or get rid of libpng