Random tardis segfaults

Found a bug? Report it here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Random tardis segfaults

Post by 1337 » Fri May 09, 2008 3:58 pm

The problem occurs now for quite some time. As far as I have heard only tardis boxes are affected.

I've dug myself into that problem a little bit: Finding the problem myself seemed impossible, so I asked google.
Here is what I came up with:
When compiling ogre with gtk, there is an issue with FreeImage (FreeImage uses customised libPNG, but under bad circumstances the native ones are used)
I haven't found a fix for this problem. What we can do is building Ogre with DEvil instead of FreeImage. This most certainly fixes the problem.
OR, we could just use jpegs since they cause no problem as far as I have heard.
Another hope: Update to Ogre v1.4.7 because 1.4.6 uses a newer version of FreeImage. Or maybe we just need to update FreeImage and Ogre will use that.

I think we might want to contact the ISG. Moreover the tcl stuff needs boost 1.35 which is not present on the tardis computers.

Here are the links I've found:
http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 6f4e2718c6
And a citation from the forum:
theres a known conflict with FreeImage and libpng ; if you compile ogre with freeimage and have libpng on your system it could possibly crash in random places. The fix for this seems to be to just disable freeimage when you build ogre, or get rid of libpng
http://www.xkcd.com/
A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Sat May 10, 2008 4:01 pm

Fabian has made a suggestion to use TGA instead of PNG since alpha channel is supported too.

Right now I'm looking for a batch converter PNG --> TGA.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Sat May 10, 2008 6:11 pm

I think IrfanView should be able to do this
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer

BadElvis
Human Space Navy Lord Commander

Post by BadElvis » Sat May 10, 2008 9:22 pm

i could do it in little time after i get back to zh. i understand only the overlays need to be converted, or is it necessary to convert all files to avoid the segfaults? i wonder how much larger the media will be...

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Sat May 10, 2008 10:09 pm

status update: Everything done and working. I'm going to upload it in a few minutes (11 Kb/s isn't much, so its gonna take some time)

The only drawback: RLE compression isn't very effective. So the size of the texture tgas is now 31MB instead of 9MB with png.
I suggest using jpeg for the models if the alpha channel is not important.

But the solution hopefully is temporary. However, I don't exactly see another solution yet, nor do I know whether this will fix the problem.

btw: I tried IrfanView, Advanced batch converter and imageConverter plus. Unfortunately only the latter worked, but it's shareware. Anyway, we could export all pictures as tgas from now, so it's not a batch convert problem anymore. hmm, wait, I tried GIMP with tga, but somehow it wanted to have 24 bit only....

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sun May 11, 2008 12:17 pm

Wow, great work of investigation there, Reto.

TGAs are a good alternative for the moment, but seriously: This can only be temporary. Upgrading the versions is a good idea, however we also have to keep the usability in mind.
As a gamer I don't want to compile everything first, but want to play immediately. This is also the reason why just the source code is not good enough.
On Ubuntu, which I use, the packets are of course not the newest version, and so we cannot rely on top upgraded libraries everywhere. This is unfortunate, but fact.
In this case leaving FreeImage and use another image-library for Ogre would be best. Then again, Ogre will be compiled with FreeImage on the packet-repositories. So there we have another problem.

Let's stick to temporary solutions, until the erroneous packets are obsolete.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Sun May 11, 2008 12:20 pm

Thats gonna take a while...

But I agree, as I have probably already mentioned, there is a possibility to compile Ogre with Devil instead of FreeImage. The problems go away then.
Btw: The only reason why Ogre uses FreeImage is a license problem with devil...

But hey, TGA IS a solution as far as I can see. And really don't so no other for the moment...

BadElvis
Human Space Navy Lord Commander

Post by BadElvis » Sun May 11, 2008 12:29 pm

Awesome work, Reto, really!
I would suggest that we also delete obsolete images from the media repository (e.g. the ninja and trout texture) on this occasion.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Sun May 11, 2008 12:33 pm

I agree. And I also wanted to clean up files like Example.material, but I really don't know too much about it, so I only deleted those that cannot be loaded because of missing images (check the commit diff before the tga upate).

Futhermore, folder structure is bad, resource group management not available (not important at the moment) and the level file is not yet in the repo. For the latter, we could make a configValue for the level file path so that we can still have customized level files for each branch.