Screen freezes on game start

Found a bug? Report it here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Screen freezes on game start

Post by beni » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:14 am

Hey guys, I wanted to test Orxonox on my system in the lab, but I cannot bring it to run. I didn't see any strange messages while installing. I put the media in a folder called data and thus adjusted cmake's option EXTERNAL_DATA_DIRECTORY. Other than this I did not change anything.
When executing the run-script I get this output with the Ogre Window quickly popping up before the application ends.

Code: Select all

Running from the build tree.
Loading module /home/ben/orxonox/trunk/build/lib/modules/liboverlays
Loading module /home/ben/orxonox/trunk/build/lib/modules/libpong
Loading module /home/ben/orxonox/trunk/build/lib/modules/libquestsystem
Loading module /home/ben/orxonox/trunk/build/lib/modules/libobjects
Loading module /home/ben/orxonox/trunk/build/lib/modules/libweapons
Setting up Ogre...
Ogre set up done.
Start loading resources.oxr...
Mask: +BaseObject 
Finished loading resources.oxr.
Loaded config file "commandHistory.ini".
Ogre: OGRE EXCEPTION(6:FileNotFoundException): Cannot locate resource GLX_icon.png in resource group General or any other group. in ResourceGroupManager::openResource at OgreResourceGroupManager.cpp (line 604)
Ogre: OGRE EXCEPTION(4:ItemIdentityException): ParticleSystem template with name 'particle_system Orxonox/sparks' already exists. in ParticleSystemManager::createTemplate at OgreParticleSystemManager.cpp (line 260)
Setting up Ogre...
Ogre set up done.
Error: Loading GameState 'graphics' failed: OGRE EXCEPTION(4:ItemIdentityException): ParticleSystem template with name 'particle_system Orxonox/sparks' already exists. in ParticleSystemManager::createTemplate at OgreParticleSystemManager.cpp (line 260)
Any ideas? I'm sure it's a simple thing, but I can't think of it.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: Trouble loading data files

Post by 1337 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:38 pm

I've had this on several occasions on tardis, but the fixes were of different kind, so I don't remember.
I believe it has something to do with the data path.
Try running cmake directly with "cmake -DEXTERNAL_DATA_DIRECTORY=../blubb/asdf .."
Or have you already tried that (not just editing the value in the cache)?

I don't know what else it could be.
Thank you for running it on an external box! Seems there is still a lot of platform and build work to be done...
http://www.xkcd.com/
A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:21 pm

try to use absolute paths ... I think there was some issue with relative paths in the past ...
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:35 am

Thank you for the replies.
Unfortunately neither solution worked. I already rerun cmake with -D EXTERNAL_DATA_PATH when I started the thread. Using absolute paths didn't solve anything.

Before I changed the data path the resources.oxr file couldn't be found, that's also why I eventually changed it by rerunning cmake. Note that now Orxonox reports that it has found and loaded resources.oxr, which it did not before. Ogre on the other hand still seems to have a wrong path somewhere as there is only an Ogre exception. I will have a look at this when I have time. Maybe you can point out a spot where I could find the bug.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by 1337 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:13 am

Hmm, I do feel a bit out of ideas. Just to remind you: it's not EXTERNAL_DATA_PATH, but EXTERNAL_DATA_DIRECTORY. But that doesn't seem to be the problem (though there are two resources.oxr in each part of the data).

You could try checking whether GLX_icon is actually loaded into the resources by edition the GraphicsManager, using methods of Resource. But I couldn't tell you now what to do, I have to go to ShangShAI (at least virtually...)

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:19 pm

I was able to start the game with absolute paths (after I realized that I really used the wrong option). Somehow I messed up the relative paths, so this is no longer a problem.
However, how is it possible that the resources.oxr has been found with wrong paths? Either there is still a bug or the error message needs a do over.

Now I'm faced with another problem: The whole desktop freezes and I have to reset the whole machine (I wasn't able to see if I could also just restart xserver as I had the dontzap option enabled). I hear the music and sometimes I see the main menu. It is not a matter of focus, as the whole Desktop just freezes. I can move the mouse around (outside of the window), but I cannot click anything.

I upgraded now to the new Ubuntu version, so maybe I'll be unable to reproduce this problem.

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: Screen freezes on game start

Post by 1337 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:15 pm

The problem probably was that don't officially support relative paths (at least I have never tested that because CMake only uses absolute paths).
I suppose we'll have to stick to absolute paths or I spend some time fixing it for the external data path ;)

About the second problem: I have observed exactly the same problem on student laptop on Wednesday (Ubuntu as well). And I have absolutely no idea how you can completely screw Linux, really no idea, sorry.

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:03 am

i've encountered such situations before ... can you switch from x11 to a console by pressing ctrl-alt-f{1-6} ?
do you have a "clean" build without old libs/modules and correct paths ?
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:45 pm

greenman wrote:i've encountered such situations before ... can you switch from x11 to a console by pressing ctrl-alt-f{1-6} ?
do you have a "clean" build without old libs/modules and correct paths ?
No, I cannot switch to console and the build is all clean.

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:19 pm

is this problem now solved or does it still exist? cause the page on the wiki still says unsuccessful which doesn't look good ^^

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:42 pm

I don't have the same setup anymore, so it's impossible for me to test that again :(. I agree that it doesn't look good, so I propose that we test the current revisions an a couple of different systems and replace old tests to shorten the length of the table.

I agree that this is cheating ^^, but I can't use that computer with this version of Ubuntu anymore. The computer is in Tokyo and it runs Windows now ^^.