hardware related bug

Found a bug? Report it here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

The Jo
General DuGalle

hardware related bug

Post by The Jo » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:26 am

While there's no problem on running Orxonox on computers in ETL, there is a significant drop of the frame rate, if you run it on Computers in ETZ D 96. (Not only the frame rate if affected, but also the menu's background is not properly displayed). Since the software is installed on a server (I guess), I think that the errors are related with hardware.
Yesterday I installed Orxonox on a Computer with Ubuntu 10.04 and had the same error when running the software. Are any issues know related to ATI graphic cards? (As far as I know ATI isn't very Linux friendly.)
Fail. Fail again. Fail better.

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: hardware related bug

Post by greenman » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:15 pm

the computer in ETL D96 (tardis-bxx ?!) are older than the ones in ETL E11 and have a slower graphics card. this. of course, causes quite a high performance drop.
probably that's why you had less frames (how man less ? what factor? )

about your pc running ubuntu 10.04:
- do you have a dedicated graphics card there or is it an integrated ati ?
- is it a desktop pc or a laptop ?
- are you using open source ati drivers or the proprietary ones ? (you can enable proprietary drivers under system->systemverwaltung->hardware treiber
- check wheter you have 3d acceleration enabled (post your output of glxinfo | grep render )

there might be problems related to ati cards: archie has performance problems too but he is running orxonox on windows, so this might be os-independent. are there other people having a ati graphics card ?

edit: if you are using compiz then try to disable it under system->einstellungen->erscheinungsbild->visuelle effekte->keine
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Mozork
Mogthorgar, the mighty

Post by Mozork » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:49 pm

I have ati, too, tough none of the problems you mentioned.
I'm using the proprietary drivers and 3d acceleration is working fine. But the performance of ati graphics cards on ubuntu could very well be depending on the type of graphics card. As far as I am aware there are always problems with full support of newer cards under linux.

The Jo
General DuGalle

Post by The Jo » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:44 pm

Sorry, I only explained the bug roughly. I'll try my best to be more precise:

I've got a desktop pc with a simple ATI graphics card. (I haven't found out which card exactly, since it's not my own PC.)
I'm using open source drivers - or at least no propritary drivers could be found.
Output of glxinfo | grep render:

Code: Select all

direct rendering: Yes
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV530 71C2) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL DRI2
After turning of compiz the loading time was shortened a little bit, but not significalty. While the menu is displayed correctly with 50 frames per second, the frame rate drops to about 4 frames per second when entering an empty level without bots. After a while the framerate rised up to 20 frames per second.

Unfortunaltey all in-game messages weren't displayed correctly: Only a part of the first letter of each element was visible.
Furthermore the radar and the ernegy-weapon-particles were displayed totally wrong.
Fail. Fail again. Fail better.

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:22 pm

by saying you couldn't find any proprietary drivers do you mean that you tried installing them (the way i described) ?
it is no surprise that you don't have much performance if you don't have proprietary drivers unfortunately :(

is this graphics card an older model or is it from, let's say, within the last 2 years? actually all newer ati graphics card should be supported by their catalyst driver

mozork: did you have to do anything special in order to install those drivers ?

about the fps behaviour: how long did it appr. take the framerate to rise to 20fps? (there's some filtering in the fps measurement so this might cause this strange behaviour)
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Mozork
Mogthorgar, the mighty

Post by Mozork » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:29 pm

mozork: did you have to do anything special in order to install those drivers ?
I probably had to open the hardware drivers tool and enable the proprietary drivers there, but apart from that I don't think so.