[solved] No Ogre Renderer

Found a bug? Report it here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

malcolm
Human Space Navy Private

[solved] No Ogre Renderer

Post by malcolm » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:10 pm

I noticed on sign up that this forum is in "british english", so... hello guv'nors! Could anyone be a right mate and help me? I'm installing on opensuse 11.3, and my problem is that on startup, an Ogre window pops up and looks like it's suppose to be a list of renderers, but there aren't any listed. So, I'm wondering:

1) is there something I could to have Ogre prompt with renderers?
2) I'm seeing an empty "ogre.cfg" getting generated in the config directory, is there something I can put in that to get it to bypass the prompt?
3) Can you say "The list lacks ogre renderers" 5 times fast? Actually just the word renderer I find to be quite a mouthful. Hey, do you guys have any need for a program that draws diagrams of renderers? Then you could have a rendererer. That would be totally awesome.

Anyhow I would appreciate some help on this, I don't have a windows box and this game looks pretty good. If I could get it to build I think I could manage to try to get some rpm's of it up on the opensuse build service. Oh I mean the game looks brlliant. Cheerio mates.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: No Ogre Renderer

Post by x3n » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for reporting. Which version of Ogre do you use?

You're guessing right, there should be a list of renderers (no plans for rendererers though, sorry :D). On linux that's usually the OpenGL renderer.

Please make sure that you use the Ogre config window correctly because it's a bit tricky on some systems: You have to press and hold the mouse button, then drag the mouse down to the renderer. If you just click once, the list will hide immediately again.

If this doesn't work, I have absolutely no clue why it doesn't show up in the list. See if you can find some hints in the log/ogre.log or log/orxonox.log files.

The empty ogre.cfg file is probably not the cause of the problem. It's rather something internal like Ogre not being able to detect your system or graphics card properly. Anyway, here's the content of my ogre.cfg on a linux box:
Render System=OpenGL Rendering Subsystem

[OpenGL Rendering Subsystem]
Display Frequency=50 MHz
FSAA=0
Full Screen=No
RTT Preferred Mode=FBO
VSync=No
Video Mode= 640 x 480
sRGB Gamma Conversion=No
The Ogre window will still pop up, but hopefully with the correct settings. If it wipes the content of ogre.cfg again, you can disable this by fiddling with the settings in config/orxonox.ini:

You'll find something like this in the [Core] section
lastLevelTimestamp_ = 0
ogreConfigTimestamp_ = 1312297718
Set lastLevelTimestamp_ to the value of ogreConfigTimestamp_ + 1 and the Ogre window will not show up again (assuming it accepts the settings in ogre.cfg)
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by greenman » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:25 am

if what x3n suggested doesn't help it might be neccessary to know which kind of graphics card (intel/nvidia/ati) you use and whether you use the opensource driver or a binary driver ?!

i guess 3d acceleration works on your system (check with glxinfo | grep render)?
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

malcolm
Human Space Navy Private

Post by malcolm » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:02 am

Please make sure that you use the Ogre config window correctly because it's a bit tricky on some systems: You have to press and hold the mouse button, then drag the mouse down to the renderer. If you just click once, the list will hide immediately again.
Yeah this was my problem, I feel a little silly but thanks a bunch. Hit the quick start thing and flew around in the ship for a minute, it looked good and the mechanics felt good, so I'm figuring I'm up and running.

Thanks again,
Malcolm

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:35 am

Yep, that's the (pretty empty) default level ;) You might want to try some other levels in the singleplayer menu (most of them are not really polished yet) or add some bots by opening the console (with the key below ESC) and typing "addbots 5" (which adds 5 bots, surprise).
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer