[Solved] Collision detection affects viewing angle

Found a bug? Report it here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

[Solved] Collision detection affects viewing angle

Post by x3n » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:39 pm

In high-poly .bsp models, the view is affected by the collision engine, which results in very heavy jerking. This is strange, because the collision should only affect the position of the player and not his viewing angle.

Ii don't know whether we get a new collision engine (claudio?) or not, but if we keep patrick's engine, we should definitively remove this bug, because it totally destroys the gameplay. :?

On the picture you can see how the camera is shaking

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:02 pm

Actually I did not rewrite the collision detection engine. I just rewrote the collision _reaction_engine and there also only the engine, not the reactions themselves. So I just changed how collisions are registered and how they are passed to the handles. One would think, that this doesn't change anything visible in the game...

This makes this whole topic very strange, and I dunno why the camera seems to be rotating.

ODE will help us solving this problem. But I/Claudio will also have to do a rework on the collision reaction itself.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:00 pm

The question is if you guys are finished until the end of semester. It's not really a critical issue but I would consider it a real bad turn down for first person shooter fans.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:09 pm

I've fixed this problem today. we now poll the data pipeline with the double frequency, but this could be solved nicer.