Texture Compillation "x1"

Contribute models, textures, concepts and sounds here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Texture Compillation "x1"

Post by x3n » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:11 pm

metal x1

40 textures, they are all 512x512 and seamless

i've made them with my digicam and modified them, so that they can be strung together without any seams. i release them under the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 2.5 license (cc-by-sa-2.5). I'll upload the textures into the data repository as soon as I've done some more sets for the x1 texture compilation (to come: stone, wood, metal-floor, metal-wall, spacestation).

I hope you like them

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:45 am

Ingenious! I adore the textures. I think all kinds of metal are important for our game.
And it really looks good.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:49 am

Need... more... textures...

Seriously, they look great.
And as I am miss-using them as spaceship and missile textures some variety is always good. keep it up.

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Post by Nowic » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:16 am

Great work! Well done!
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:47 pm

Thx! Many game project have problems finding textures. To have someone within the team that is able to create such textures really makes a difference!

Very cool!

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:25 pm

stone x1

35 textures, they are all 512x512 and seamless (yes, even those with the big stones :))

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:51 am

Great work. I want to mention a possible problem. Actually Nowic once said, that some textures, even though they are seamless, have a pattern you don't see until you put them together in the game.
Also I see that the textures are photos. Depending on the style of the Orxonox graphic we may need some more unrealistic textures, but I think with a few filters we can change those textures for our means.

All of this is just speculation. I still think it's great work and I'm sure we need those.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Sun Apr 22, 2007 12:55 pm

some textures, even though they are seamless, have a pattern you don't see until you put them together in the game.
That's true and I know this problem, but we actually have to decide whether we want interesting textures or absolutely no patterns.
I've already tested the textures in radiant. Some have patterns, others don't. As long as you don't use those "bad" textures for really big faces, it's not a problem.
The textures are all 512x512. That's not much, but it's 4 times bigger than the nexuiz textures (256x256). As long as you're texturizing small objects (i.e. a blender model or an object in a bsp map) you won't see a repetitive pattern.
Furthermore, as i said, there are quite a lot of textures without remarkable patterns.

Depending on the style of the Orxonox graphic we may need some more unrealistic textures
Yes, absolutely. You can easily modify those textures to make them look futuristic, but you always need an existing base and that's what I'm creating here. In addition, most of the nexuiz-textures I used for my spacestation weren't futuristic at all. They were just metal.