Pirate Carrier

Contribute models, textures, concepts and sounds here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

BadElvis
Human Space Navy Lord Commander

Pirate Carrier

Post by BadElvis » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:00 pm

This is the Pirate Carrier, which I completed last night.

http://www.orxonox.net/wiki/PirateCarrier

After the exams, I might create a cool skin for it.

Thanks for your feedback!

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:06 pm

That's exactly what we need: Bigger ships supporting all the small ones we created so far. I think this is great how you keep working on new and cooler stuff to implement.

Now for the usability. The ship's flak cannon seems to only defend one hemisphere. If anything approaches from the other side it will be unharmed and could destroy the carrier.
Also, to be able to use it, you should separate the cannon from the ship, so we can move it and make it destroyable by the enemies.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:11 pm

Impressive design...

I thought it looks a little small. But if the fighter some short range type (i.e no hyperdrive engine), then the carrier could be some sort of jump ship, which gets the pirates near their target, attack, salvage, getaway...

OTOH i love the consistency... there is nothing worse that ships that should belong together looking to much different.
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:14 pm

Very cool! You inspire me to try to make a ship by myself :P

BadElvis
Human Space Navy Lord Commander

Post by BadElvis » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:34 pm

beni wrote: Now for the usability. The ship's flak cannon seems to only defend one hemisphere. If anything approaches from the other side it will be unharmed and could destroy the carrier.
Also, to be able to use it, you should separate the cannon from the ship, so we can move it and make it destroyable by the enemies.
that's right, each flak cannon can only defend one hemisphere. but toghether they cover the whole. i imagined, that it fires strong laser beams, that "explode" into a spherical energy-field in a given distance. if well aimed, the enemy flies directly into the energy sphere, so this weapon mustn't be underestimated.
but still, the main weapons are the small and fast interceptors.

the cannons are separate object and the barrels too. so the turret can rotate freely and the barrels can be raised and lowered.

concerning the size, why is it a little small?
- making a bigger ship with <= 1000 face and a 1024 texture would look ugly
- they're only pirates! it is not a battleship of the UCA. the pirates made it themselves by hand, and they don't have giant shipyards.
- i think it also looks cool, if like 5 carriers attack another huge battleship together: first firing the flak cannons from far and then 25 small interceptors emerge at the same time and their enemy is completely stunned and doesn't know where to point his gun.
- why should a carrier always be as big as the us navy carriers and not smaller and agile instead?
Last edited by BadElvis on Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:42 pm

Fair enough...

And how to create a large ship without sacrificing to much of the texture still needs to be solved... maybe one could split the model into submodels, parts that a just close together (and may overlap). I need to discuss this with nowic

cheers
nico
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:09 pm

nicolasc wrote:And how to create a large ship without sacrificing to much of the texture still needs to be solved...
With repeating textures. that's why the material textures in our data repository are usually seamless :)

@elvis: wow, nice :D i think the size is ok, but the discussion about the weapons is appropriate: the weapons look like they could only turn 90 degree (@board admin: The degree-symbol almost wrecked my post).
Oh and by the way: it's good you're building the weapons as their own models, we'll later attach them with some sort of mountpoints so they're movable and can be exchanged :)

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:56 pm

x3n wrote: (@board admin: The degree-symbol almost wrecked my post)
I'm quite sure, that the encoding in the data base is the problem, and that the forum is fine... but I'll check it out.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."