Cleaning up the data folder

Contribute models, textures, concepts and sounds here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Cleaning up the data folder

Post by 1337 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:25 pm

I just tried to delete 3 "old" files in the data folder containing the word "example". Well, I would expect the game to continue working, but some of our materials are actually defined in these files...

There seems to be a small chaos with our material scripts. Everything is just somewhere in some file in the same folder.

We could also have to have a look at the models folder and group some stuff into folders (we can still have them in a single resource location, so you don't have to use paths). textures/ doesn't look much better either (at least there is a folder).

Anyway something has to be done about this now that more and more levels and modules like weapons, pickups, quests, pong, etc. are popping up. Or else we'll eventually loose track and recreate stuff over and over again, just to have everything twice or more.

We should probably use folders for level files. Maybe make a folder for larger levels and put every specific file in there (no matter whether mesh, material or particle effects). The general purpose stuff would still remain where it is of course.

What do you think?
http://www.xkcd.com/
A webcomic of romance, sarcasm, math, and language.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: Cleaning up the data folder

Post by beni » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:05 am

I agree totally that we have to do something about the chaos in the folders, however I don't know if separate folders for each level is a good idea. Of course it would be helpful to just find a texture because "I've seen it in that level once". I think however that we will reuse a lot of textures and that the level specific folders would really help cleaning the data folder up. Instead there should be other criteria to split up the folder into smaller categories.
Material properties would be something I was thinking of, but I think that we will have a lot of "metal", so this is not useful either.
Model based categories would make the most sense in my opinion. Of course the "spaceship" folder will be large, but when we're categorize further into "fighter", "bomber" etc. and especially with multi-texturing we would have subcategories like "engine" "cockpit" "wing" etc.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."