Using Verse with GIMP and Blender

Contribute models, textures, concepts and sounds here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Using Verse with GIMP and Blender

Post by beni » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:03 am

What's Verse?
At my work at VirtaMed I work with the Verse protocol with which 3D scenes can be synchronized. It's pretty easy to create functioning server-client application where models and textures are synchronized in real-time. There are also games out there that use Verse. Maybe we could have tried to use it for Orxonox as well, but I'm not sure if it would have worked.

Using Verse for Orxonox
Anyway Blender has a client implementation and so has GIMP with a plugin. This video shows how you can do that. I don't know if this is still needed with the texture painting in the new Blender version, but for Orxonox this would definitely be something useful to work with. If you need more information or some assistance I can help you. I know the protocol and its application pretty well already

3D artist collaboration - 3D Jam Session
For the 3D artists please also check out the comments where Butch Arrington suggests to make a collaborative effort to connect several Blenders together and do a live 3D Jam session. This should work great, because Verse works perfectly over the Internet as well. I'm sure for artists this could be a lot of fun and the video of the collab would certainly also help to promote Verse. So why not contact them and help organize it?
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Re: Using Verse with GIMP and Blender

Post by beni » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:17 pm

There are even more tools that use Verse. From the creator of LOVE the game I found a video describing some of the tools and how you can work with them.

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:39 pm

"So now I'm gonna be showing you some of the tools that i've been using for making love"

uhm no thanks :|
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Yeah.. I know.. that's why I quickly introduced the game beforehand ^^

Mozork
Mogthorgar, the mighty

Post by Mozork » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:30 pm

This is seriously awesome!

BadElvis
Human Space Navy Lord Commander

Post by BadElvis » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:29 pm

We were just talking about Blender and the fact, that I still have the impression of knowing next to nothing about it. But this video is really awesome.

Some time ago, I used another 3d program called trueSpace (caligari.com). This also had a similar concept and comparably intuitive user interface but it was not free.

However, I don't think these tools can be used to develop Orxonox, because they are too difficult to learn.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:47 pm

You're right. I presented these tools partly off-topic since I work with this kind of technology at the moment and it's a lot of fun what you can do with it. That Eskil Steenberg guy is pretty amazing.

I put it here though, because I think more advanced modelers would be interested in such tools which of course improve the modelling pipeline. So if you happen to create a model for Orxonox using these kind of tools it would still be beneficial for Orxonox ;).