Exporting *.obj files from Blender

Contribute models, textures, concepts and sounds here.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Exporting *.obj files from Blender

Post by Nowic » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:33 pm

Note:
If you want to export files from Blender as an Object file (File -> Export -> Wavefront (obj)) make shure:

1. You select all objects you want to export. For example all your mountpoints and your spaceship!

2. Load the correct tecxture file for your meshes into blender (a jpg or png)!

3. Delete unused materials.

to be continued...
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

Nowic

Post by Nowic » Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:41 pm

4. The y-axis looks up in Orxonox (z-axis in Blender), so you have to rotate your model by 90 before exporting.

Interesting: http://www.fileformat.info/format/wavefrontobj/

http://www.csit.fsu.edu/~burkardt/data/mtl/mtl.html
http://www.fileformat.info/format/material/
Last edited by Nowic on Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

Nowic

Post by Nowic » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:11 pm

5. If your model is transparent in the engine (but shouldn't) you have to flatten you texture file in GIMP before exporting to delete the (unused) alpha channel. Image -> Image merge (or similar) german: Bild -> Bild zusammenfuegen

maybe I should make a wiki page....

Nowic

Post by Nowic » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:40 pm

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:10 am

Thx nowic for this superb howto :D