Open Source 3D Scroller: AstroMenace

This is a place for everything and nothing.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Open Source 3D Scroller: AstroMenace

Post by Nowic » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:38 pm

I found an open source (GPL) 3D scroller game from an Ukrainian indy game-dev company. I have played some levels. It looks nice. It's mature and has some nice features like ship configuration and tuning. But the gamplay is boring in my opinion. Just as an input for all orxonox devs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eOxBLgH1GI

http://www.viewizard.com/games.php
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:07 pm

I will have a closer look at it - it's even in portage!

from the video, it looks more like a scroller, and we are moving more towards a freelancer like gameplay - what ever that means..
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:20 pm

Well it segfaults, I have not the time to take care of that right now.

What seems worth looking at is the game/level design - fully xml based - which is exactly what we need to learn.
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:19 am

Well yeah.. Orxonox like it was some years ago...

Still it looks pretty nice graphics wise. Only the GUI is miserable. If Orxonox gets such a GUI I'll quit working with you guys ;). But your right.. seems a bit boring.

Cool thing, he uses SDL and if the architecture is good, it may be quite performant. But also, he'll never get away from that 2D style. Just see what we've got some time ago.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."