Building Space Ships

This is a place for everything and nothing.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

BadElvis
Human Space Navy Lord Commander

Building Space Ships

Post by BadElvis » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:09 am

This topic is about a space game, I purchased recently. It is not a computer game but a board game, but since it is about space travel, I thought i might post something about here anyway. Those of you that not only like sci-fi and computer games but also board games might as well continue to read.

The game "Galaxy Trucker" is the latest publication of Czech games author Vlaada Chravtil. Its about building your personal spaceship from dozens of parts as quickly as possible and afterwards flying through space, shooting pirates, collecting cargo and hoping your ship doesn't fall apart as quickly as the other ships do. Of course, the goal of the game is to collect as many cosmic credits as possible before the game ends.

Here, the game manual states the following:
The game ends after Round 3, once all the rewards have been collected and all the penalties paid. Add up all your cosmic credits. If that number is 1 or more, you win! Of course, the player who has the most credits is a bit more of a winner than everyone else.
http://www.czechgames.com/galaxy_trucker

I love this game, because its the right mixture between fast-paced building and strategic planning. If anyone is interested, why don't we give it a try?

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:50 pm

Looks really cool. I'd love to play it. I even read all the rules to think about a cool Gametype with similar rules. However I think it would be hard to create a interesting Gametype out of it. The cool thing about the board game is the whole constructing of a cool space ship which will survive all the dangers out there. Such a focus on the space ship in Orxonox would be difficult to administer.

But hey, you should bring this along once so we can play it.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:03 pm

A "board game"? I had a look at google, seems like I need a "table" to play this... I don't even have a fucking table here. Why do all new games need their own hardware? That sucks. Just some years ago, people used to play very well on a single core system. Well, of course I don't want to prohibit progress, but please, just look at the damn system requirements... On the website they say "60 adventure cards"... I mean, wtf, I've only got 5 PCI slots and 3 are already occupied...
Fabian 'x3n' Landau, Orxonox developer

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:08 pm

:lol:
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."