Welcome to the Orxonox PPS FS10

This is a place for everything and nothing.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

greenman
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Welcome to the Orxonox PPS FS10

Post by greenman » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:21 am

Hi

We are all pleased to have a lot PPS students this term. This thread is for them to introduce themselves.

So please write something about yourself (Name, Interests, ...).

Greets Oli
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

sfluecki
Human Space Navy Sergeant

Re: Welcome to the Orxonox PPS FS10

Post by sfluecki » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:55 pm

Hi there,

im sebastian - as all of here during 2. semester of D-ITET.
im here to learn more about game-developement, and gaming itself,
though im a 'addicted' to online-games, especially 'spacy' ones.

since 7 years i have been playing Omega-Day a game you'll find on
www.omega-day.com , in my opinion the best browsergame ever built.

well im thrilled to learn more about orxonox and get a chance to participate
at this great project.

as well im looking foreward to those 'pizza-nights' mentioned ;-)
cheers, seba :beerchug:

tyderion
Noxonian Brolghormeg

Post by tyderion » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:08 pm

hi everybody
my name is gabriel and I study at the ETH, of course.
I'm also here to learn about game-development, work in a bigger project as well as improve my coding-skills.
My hobbies include reading, computer, hanging out with friends and well, doing fun things, which for sure includes computer games, even though I'm more of a casual gamer now.

I'm looking forward to participate in this project and to help in the development of this opensource game!

let's finish Orxonox this term (haha :))
tyd

smerkli
Human Space Navy Lieutenant

Post by smerkli » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:20 pm

I'm Sandro, another D-ITET, 2nd semester student at ETH Zurich.

I've been programming for quite some time now, but never worked with any larger teams, so I thought it might be a good idea to get some experience working (particularly programming) in teams.

My hobbies include lots of sports (dancing, snowboarding, swimming, running...), computers, coding in particular, making broken linux things work again :D, gaming, etc.

I'm really happy to be part of this project and hope we'll get some good work done :D

Cheers

The Jo
General DuGalle

Post by The Jo » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm
- Johannes
- a 2nd semester D-ITET student
- still learning how to programm.
- an administrator of de.wikiHow.com. Generally I'm very interested in open source software and open content.
- sure that I'll come up with lot's of ideas - many more than I can put into practice.

And last but not least it was ever since my dream to create a computer game.
Fail. Fail again. Fail better.

ebeier
Noxonian Pryllgnothor

Post by ebeier » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:03 am

Hi

I'm Eric, like the others i'm an ITET student in the 2nd semester.
My programming knowledge had been good enough to get me through the first semester basicly without learning anything new. But I never participated in such a big project, especially not with other developers on the same project. I'm not only interested in coding, but in creating graphics and models too, so i'm not quite shure what i should choose for the project. Anyway, this PPS Course is a very interesting oportunity to learn something new.

In my free time, i use the computer alot. When i was still in school, i used to play EvE Online, a Spaceship MMORPG, basicly it's a big server cluster with a Peak User Count of over 55k people online at the same time in hundreds of solar systems. The social aspect in the game is very high, as in EvE, you have to gain trust to others, it's a very harsh world. It's not a spaceship-shooter like orxonox, you mainly control your ship by telling it to fly in a direction, orbit something, keep range etc. But imagine a battle epic with 500vs500 ships, each one a player, there's enough to do, good thing you don't have to maneuver around the large blob of ships.

I also like sports, in the warm months i go climbing (Jura around Basel), and i do Parkour, too (google it/youtube).

That's it for now, Eric

gasserlu
Noxonian Pryllgnothor

Post by gasserlu » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi,

Im Lukas and quite surprisingly also a 2nd sem ITET student. My programming skills are moderate, so most likely below average in here. This is due to little experience. Through this project I hope to get a practical view of how computer science is useful and interesting.
Motivation is huge and Im looking forward to many joyful and instructive hours of creating a new feature in this game, not to mention of playing it myself, of course. "Sleepless nights for u and me, my lovely 19" LCD. :D "

pleasent weekend and ill see u monday

Luke

erwin
Noxonian Grollknom

Post by erwin » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:09 pm

Well, looks like I make the start fort the 4th semester students.

My name's Erwin, I was in the PPS in my 2nd semester. I programmed the basic sound support and there are still some things to do in the sound subsystem. So that's it from my side.

mfg Erwin

solex
Noxonian Grollknom

Post by solex » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:52 pm

Hello!
The name is Dominik and I'm yet another 2nd semester ITET student.
Concerning my programming skills I wouldn't say that they go notably
beyond what we've learnt during our first semester. Apart from C++ I
have so far only dealt with some standard web development (html/css/
php) and a bit python. Nonetheless I would like to try to contribute some Code, but right now I'm tending more to creating some game content. My experience with gaming is still much greater than that with coding. I could have counted gaming as a hobby, but since the start of my studies I cut it back...

Orxonox being an open source project fits me pretty well; I am
a GNU/Linux user and believe (at least hope) that open source is going
to dominate the future.

Small collection of non computer related hobbies: Table-tennis, fitness, reading, playing the guitar and so on...

Looking forward to contribute and having a fun time!

moorsm
Noxonian Pryllgnothor

Post by moorsm » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:07 pm

hi guys

I'm Michael

I came to Oxronox becaurse I am realy interestet in games, but mostly was on the players side of it and would like to see a bit more of it.

I dont have any further programing experience then from my studies at eth but am very ambitious in improoving.

Jan
Noxonian Pryllgnothor

Post by Jan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:11 pm

Hello, my name is Jan and I am currently studying in the 4th semester at D-ITET.

I am quite interested in game development, so the Orxonox PPS seemed to be a good occasion to me. I have already programmed a few 2D games in C++, but I've never been part of a bigger project yet. My experience with 3D games is quite limited, I hope to learn interesting things about commonly used techniques (concerning programming as well as modeling).

I'm looking forward to working as a team! :)

kolibri7
Noxonian Pryllgnothor

Post by kolibri7 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:03 pm

Hi there

I'm also called Jan (no joke) and I'm studying ITET in the second semester.
I've already programmed a simple 2D game in Java and I've always been interested in how to make a 3D game. So I decided to join Orxonox and I'm very looking forward to be part of this project.

Im working on LoD(Level of Detail) right now and I hope it will help Orxonox to become a nice released OpenSource shooter. =)