How gaming can save the world

This is a place for everything and nothing.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

How gaming can save the world

Post by beni » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:06 pm

I was just surfing the web, when I stumbled over this very interesting lecture of a game designer. While this has nothing to do with Orxonox at all (no open source, no C++, not really science fiction and not 3D gaming) it is quite amazing what potential gaming has:

And here a trailer of the game she talks about at the end:

And here the link to this game. I don't know if I'm gonna play it, but I thought the idea was intriguing, so I wanted to share it.

(How cool is it by the way, that we can embed movies into our forum!!)
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

Mozork
Mogthorgar, the mighty

Re: How gaming can save the world

Post by Mozork » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:19 pm

Oh yeah, TED talks are awesome. ;)
Hadn't seen that yet, though. Awesome talk. :D

lieni
Noxonian Reg'metholt

Post by lieni » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:13 am

I was seriously bored after the first 3 minutes and stopped watching... can somebody pleas enlighten me? What's this revolutionary, world-saving idea?
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:36 am

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that it takes her some time to get to the interesting points.

Her main point is, that a lot of (young) people do a lot of problem solving while gaming. The amount of time people spend in virtual worlds, working on quests, rises up to a crazy potential for solving real world problems.

In the end she proposes educational games that take the motivation that gamers have to level up and applies it to real world scenarios. This may sound boring now, but I'm sure you agree that, if it is well made, it could work to motivate people to come up with solutions that nobody is thinking of at the moment.
In the end the game provides solutions to real world problems, but also educates the gamer because his problem-solving skills are applied to problems that our society could or does face in the future.
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."