Ogre on Windows

A place to discuss everything about the Orxonox framework.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:12 am

I think that Crystal Space has something like a BSP-tree which may be used to do exactly this calculation: Checking what's in the line of sight. I personally think it's stupid to drop a good technique just because the graphic cards have become next to second (wait, third or fourth or fifth) CPUs. But I guess they had their reasons.

Well. I think that the "which parts are visible"-code already exists. If not in Ogre it will be in CS. I think that won't be too much of a problem to do. But of course I may be wrong :wink: .
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:54 am

That code is in the BSP compiler of GTK Radiant (q3map2). It takes, depending on the map, 1-1000 seconds. The results of those calculations are stored in the BSP file (the "vis" part). I don't think such code is included in ogre or any other engine, as it makes no sense for an engine to have non-runtime-code in it.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:53 pm

I don't think that we will find an answer to the "shall we drop or not BSP" question in this forum. Since there are not only performance and feature questions involved but also the question of what Orxonox V2 is going to be.

I personally would regret the loss of 3 very very good BSP levels, they are the work of one year, which we can't recover when changing to another engine. The loss of content is much more severe than the loss of the old Orxonox Engine, which on the other hand even is a win, because the new engines are much better.

Since for me it's not clear what Orxonox V2 is going to be (the actual game ideas - which are the most important things of them all!), I recall my vote for the BSP map and I would wish a real discussion about this topic with you all.

Thanks to x3n and Nowic (sorry if I forgot to mention others, I can judge just the work I've seen on the wiki and in the forum) you have collected a base knowledge to talk about the engine change.
Let's bring this knowledge together to synchronize everyone and clear the way for Orxonox V2.

People of Orxonox unite! It's time for a convention!

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:54 pm

For all who want to test the BSP-Demo of Ogre:

The pk3 file (including the map, all textures and everything else needed):
http://upload.x3n.ch/files/orxonox_test.pk3

The config file:
http://upload.x3n.ch/files/quake3settings.cfg

Download both files and change in the first line of quake3settings.cfg the path to the pk3 file. Ogre already has a quake3settings.cfg, replace it.

Oh, and here you can listen to the correct spelling of "Ogre". ;)

hofzge
Roshliikhh, lower servant to the Deities

Post by hofzge » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:36 am

:) Thanks for your help!
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
-- William Gibson, Neuromancer

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Post by Nowic » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:35 am

Yeah, I'll train the pronunciation :P Thx.

Edit: Link to the tutorial?
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

Nowic
Thanathon, God of the lower Planes

Post by Nowic » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:58 pm

Installation on debian based systems:

# aptitude install libfreeimage-dev libopenexr-dev libxaw7-dev libxaw-headers libxpm-dev libzzip-dev libxxf86vm-dev libois-dev libtiff-dev libmng-dev

$ cd ogrenew
$ ./configure
$ make

I tried to load the level with ./samples/BSP/src/BSP but it complains about a missing resources.cfg file.
"I've always lived cheaply. I live like a student, basically. And I like that because it means that money is not telling me what to do. I can do what I think is important for me to do. It freed me to do what seemed worth doing." -- Richard Stallman

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:19 pm

On Tardis:

obviously there are missing libraries on tardis (zziplib) also since there is nothing precompiled for linux we HAVE to compile the SOURCE and this needs root permission for the "make install" command. It's a shame and I don't know how we can solve this besides asking ISG for help. :(

x3n
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by x3n » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:25 pm

Nowic wrote:I tried to load the level with ./samples/BSP/src/BSP but it complains about a missing resources.cfg file.
I don't know where resources.cfg is on linux, but it should be somewhere in your Ogre directory (at least this was the case on windows). Maybe it's in samples/common (if this folder exists).
If there's a resources.cfg anywhere in your Ogre directory, copy it into the folder where the binary is located. Else I'll upload all config files (there are more of them).

Nowic wrote:Edit: Link to the tutorial?
Tutorials and installation guides are here:
http://www.ogre3d.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

beni wrote:On Tardis:

obviously there are missing libraries on tardis (zziplib) also since there is nothing precompiled for linux we HAVE to compile the SOURCE and this needs root permission for the "make install" command. It's a shame and I don't know how we can solve this besides asking ISG for help. :(
Is this only a one-time-problem or do we need the "make install" command every time we changed something in the Ogre engine?

silvan
Noxonian Brolghormeg

Post by silvan » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:42 pm

I don't see why you have to do a "make install" ? I'm not sure whether it is reasonable to compile the engine with the game, but you could install it locally the first time you compile orxonox. (Similar to lua in the current setup)
That way you could be sure that you always have the right version.
The light on the end of the tunnel is a train.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:07 pm

One has to install Ogre only once of course. Those are libraries one has to built himself, but if you have them once, that's not a problem.

Also the binaries will run without Ogre installed. So we do not have to worry about this either.

I think I should then write to ISG and ask them to install Ogre on tardis. Only way, right?

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:56 am

You will have to do this every time you want a newer ogre version.

Perhaps they will be willing to set up an user account ogre or something similar where you can install ogre. Then your Orxonox build files will have to look for this directory when building.
But you will definitely need to install all the dependencies of Ogre on the system. Be sure to have a list of dependencies (with versions if possible) if you go by the ISG. And I'm sure they will be gladly willing to help.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:53 pm

First we have to determine if ogre works well enough on openGL on linux anyway. Then we should talk about plugins, which the ISG will have to install as well...

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:25 pm

Can somebody try to get it working on Linux? I'm following a description about how to get it worked on Ubuntu, but I'm held up building some libraries for ogre.

Do I really need OIS, FreeImage and CEGui?

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:55 pm

I guess I have to write a simple bsp display application, is this right? I cannot find everything I can use right now.