Orxonox Weekend

Talk about Orxonox and related stuff.

Moderator: PPS-Leaders

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Orxonox Weekend

Post by patrick » Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:34 pm

What do you think of an Orxonox Weekend. Something like a Think-Tank but just for 1.5 days. This lets enough time to socialize _and_ actually do some real thinking.

At the last conventions, the problem was always, that we didn't have enough time to follow all ideas and to think them through. With the weekend version there is half day for socializing and one whole day for doing some work. This would be awesome.

There is only one problem with this: where to do it... I propose a place a little further off. Like mountains or something. If all of us pay a little amount to this event we will get the money for a small cabin or something. If we take a Pfadiheim, this will be absolutely feasible.

What do you think about this proposition? Do you have some nice, not too expensive places for disposal for one weekend? If nobody has, but all agree that this event makes sense, I will be able to look for something in Bern (and only in Bern). So if you prefer ZH or anything else, we need some input :D

And when would such an event make sense?

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:03 pm

Sounds like a nice idea...

+1
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

beni
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by beni » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:42 pm

I like the idea and I also see need for both socializing and thinking. :D

The difficult thing will be to find a time where a lot of people have time for this. I dunno if we could really find a weekend during the semester for the Orxonox Weekend. So 2 days in the holidays may be better.
I also think that there should be at least 2 of such events a year. Practically exchanging it for the Think Tank Meetings.

Generally I would prefer ZH just because we usually meet in ZH for Orxonox and the Orxonox HQ is at the ETH, but I personally wouldn't mind to meet anywhere in Switzerland or in the close area around Switzerland. The possibility is higher that less people come to this event if we organize it far away. But anything would be nice.

Zueri or Berner Oberland would be great locations and also a trip to some lake would be adequate.

I already look forward to a Orxonox holiday overseas or the famous Orxonox world tour. :D ;)
"I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite forum on the internet."

nicolasc
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by nicolasc » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:11 pm

@Paedu: How is the planning going?

I'd like to plan my few days of holidays I have after my exams - after the 5th - and from what I've heard beni and x3n have their last on the 7th.

For personal reasons I would prefer the weekend of the 9th to the one of the 16th - I am kind of busy then...

Otherwise we could do a normal thinktank meeting at my place. If not too many people come there should be enough place.

cheers
nico

[note to myself: never use umlaut!]
BOFH Excuse #212: Of course is doesn't work. We've performed a software upgrade.

patrick
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Post by patrick » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:07 am

I didn't do much work on the planning yet, since I'm still passively waiting for inputs for locations in Zurich.
The only crazy location idea I have would be to come to the ETH take a big lecture room and live there for 2 days. This would be kinda fun but not really what I had in mind :?
Some other (better) location would be highly appreciated.

Concerning time: My weekends are a little crowded... Perhaps someone of you guys with better ideas of when the semester starts and what you actually plan to do wants to make a doodle poll.